Best Advice for Moms Before a Makeover Consultation?

How far back is my medical history relative to any procedures that I might consider during a mommy makeover?

How to Seek a Surgeon for a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to restore a woman’s body to look as is it did prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.

Your procedures should always be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Medical History is important to your health

A complete medical history (from birth on) including family history of problems is extremely important to prevention of complications. This includes all medicines, over the counter medicines, supplements, smoking history, and just about everything else. Even though patients may not think a detail is  important, I find facts that may affect my procedure or the medicines I prescribe every week. My suggestion is to prepare in advance, keep in on your computer, make a copy of this information and just bring it in which will save a lot of your time for you 

Medical history

Anything from your current and past medical history is relevant including health history of your parents and possible siblings.

Medical history is important before mommy makeover

You should discuss your medical history in great detail with your plastic surgeon, and your primary care physician, prior to having a mommy makeover. This procedure is performed under general anesthesia and takes anywhere from 3-5 hours depending on what specifically is done. Your plastic surgeon will determine if it is safe to perform the procedures (breast and abdomen) at the same time. Be sure to visit a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and have the surgery performed in an accredited surgery center or hospital.

William Bruno, MD

Reviewing your past medical history is important before a mommy makeover procedure

I always check the medical history of my patients before any and all procedures.  This goes all the way back to childhood!  Penicillin allergies, past surgeries, and heart conditions are all examples of things that may affect your procedure and should be discussed with your plastic surgeon before surgery.

Medical history and mommy makeover

A complete and thorough history can be very helpful. If there is something that you are worried about disclosing to your doctor, ask him/her to be very careful in how it is documented in your medical record. There are ways to disclose and document and be discrete at the same time.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Relevant medical history for Mommy Makeover

It's all relevant! Your medical conditions and prior surgeries, particularly if the surgeries were abdominal and/or had complicated healing, whether you have ever had a blood clot, if you have a smoking history, any significant weight changes - all are important for your surgeon to know prior to embarking on your next surgical procedure. We cannot get too much information!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Be complete about medical history before mommy makeover

As with any surgery, it is important to be complete and honest about your medical history. The bottom line is always your safety. In addition to medical history, be sure to include anything you are doing presently such as the use of herbal supplements.

Richard Baxter, MD

Mommy Makeover and medical history

It will be important for your surgeon to know all of your medical history so that they can determine if you are an appropriate candidate for surgery. This history should included all medications (prescription or OTC), and dietary supplements or herbal medications,  all hospitalizations and surgeries that you have had, any condition that you have been diagnosed with. It is also a great idea to provide your family doctor with information that you are considering mommy make-over surgery so that he/she can help both you and your surgeon determine medical clearance. Often times, mommy make-over surgery involves several procedures and it is imperative that due diligence is done to assure your safety.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Importance of complete medical history

There is no details too small to be included in your medical history. Even something as small as TMJ can be pertanent to your anesthesiologist. Any medicines, over the counter, herbal supplements, liquid vitamins, and prescriptions are all very pertinent to your care. Take time to think back and complet your medical history as well as find out your family history if possible. Knowing about your mom's history of bleeding disorders could save your life. Good luck to you.

Thomas B. Lintner, MD, FACS