Need Some Advice After Facial Trauma?

male medical student - was applying in the match for last year, had to withdraw because of some personal issues. very bothered after facial trauma that I sustained in late 2011. nasal fracture, zygomatic arch fracture, and basilar skull frature - mastoid area to be precise I believe. left eye lid is lower than the right, smile line is slightly uneven. may have had facial nerve damage where it exits the skull? I can forward pictures but cannot have them on internet.

Doctor Answers 6

Facial Trauma and All Its Problems

I am sorry to hear of your problems.  You must now select one maxillofacial plastic surgeon that can work with you in all of these areas.   My recommendation would be Dr Stephen Schendel who is located in Palo Alto and Beverly Hills part time.  Steve was the Chairman of Plastic Surgery and is as great all around caring human being.   Steve is a DDS and MD and both a oral surgeon and plastic surgeon.   I think either Steve or his equal in your local area is the way to go.  You will be fine.  Just hang in there and be determined.  My Best,   Dr C

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Facial Trauma

Recommend you see Dr. Bahman Guyuron. Chair Deparment of Plastic Surgery. Case Western Reserve University. Cleveland OH

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Advice after Facial Trauma?

I am  sorry to hear about the trauma you have experienced. You will be best off seeking consultation with well experienced craniofacial surgeons. Depending on the nature of your “personal problems”, counseling may also be indicated.  You will find, that these in-person consultations, will be much for helpful to than  advice you will receive online.

 Best wishes;  hopefully you will be able to receive the help you are looking for and continue  your medical training as soon as possible.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,488 reviews

In need of reconstructive facial surgery

Sounds like you need to be evaluated by a craniofacial / maxillofacial surgeon, this can be either an oral surgeon or plastic surgeon.  If you are at a large university there should be a department and service available to evaluate your situation and make recommendations for reconstructive surgery.  

Jeffrey Zwiren, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Many Options

Although it is hard to assess the extent of your injuries from your post alone, multiple options exist for treating facial fractures and facial nerve injuries, even months or years after the initial trauma. I would definitely recommend seeking treatment at practice or center with experience treating facial trauma and/or facial nerve injuries (especially as  comprehensive facial nerve rehabilitation often involves a "multi-disciplinary" approach). 



Joshua Rosenberg, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Facial reconstructive surgery

I am so sorry to hear of your plight. This is not a quick fix scenario. You'll need to see several plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons and dermatologists to get the best result

Barry Lycka, MD
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.