Why is it advertised as painless and no down time when SOOOOO many do complain of a lot of pain when treating the lower stomach?

Pain post Coolsculpting

The vast majority of the patients have only mild discomfort post treatment. For those who experience discomfort, it rarely is at a level that would impede daily activity. Pain is possible though and you should go to a center with an active supervising physician to ensure proper care in the event of any side effects.

Coolsculpting and the lower Abdomen

The majority of patients have Coolsculpting and have no pain afterwards.  It is a safe and effective treatment for the stomach, love handles, flanks, and now the inner and outer thighs.  Occasionally some patients may feel some discomfort after treating the abdomen.  In general it is an easily tolerated procedure where patients can return to normal activity immediately after treatment.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in Coolsculpting.

Discomfort During And After CoolSculpting

CoolSculpting is a non invasive method for reducing stubborn fat pockets and does not require medication during or after the treatment.  Every patient experiences the discomfort differently.  In my practice, we advise the patients during our consultation that there are three times that they may experience discomfort in varying degrees.  The initial application can be uncomfortable because of the vacuum draw pulling the fatty tissue into the applicator.  In most cases, patients feel numb in that area about ten minutes into treatment and are able to relax.  In our office we have a television with movie service, make the patient comfortable with blankets and pillows, dim the lights, and have drinks available.  Many of our patients are even able to sleep though most of the treatment.  The applicator removal and immediate massage of the frozen tissue can be another time of discomfort.  Massaging the frozen fat cells in the first few minutes following treatment can increase results by 68%.  This sensation of frozen tissue returning to body temperature typically lasts ten minutes following applicator removal and that specific sensation typically does not return.  In the days and few weeks following treatment, it is normal to experience tingling and cramping feeling in the area treated.  My practice offers a compression garment which greatly reduces the normal tender sensations. 

The compression garment is part of the CoolSculpting Complete package available at my practice, along with dual machines, vibrational therapy to increase lymphatic elimination of fat cells, and Instant Rebates.  Our status as a top CoolSculpting provider allows us to offer free CoolSculpting when another CoolSculpting treatment is purchased.

Though there can be times of discomfort during and after CoolSculpting, it is generally mild and manageable without medication.  Every patient experiences the treatment and side effects differently, from non existent to intense.  In my practice we educate the patient about what they may experience so they are prepared for any uncomfortable times of the treatment.  Many of our patients who did experience discomfort have returned for additional treatments because it is an effective method for fat cell reduction without surgery or real downtime. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

After Coolsculpting

It is not uncommon to have pain after treatment to the abdomen, discuss with your surgeon. Most people do not experience this and return to normal activity within a week or two.

We have extensive experience with and have had Coolsculpting for over three years and see great results in properly selected individuals, location and fat texture are key variables.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Pain with Coolsculpting Treatment

Yes, some patient's do experience discomfort after the procedure is performed especially in the abdominal area. Each case is different.

Most of the patients that have had treatment have had minimal discomfort. If there is discomfort, it subsides in a few weeks.

CoolSculpting Treatment Symptoms

We suggest you speak to your physician about your experience. If you don't have an appointment soon, call and request one. I'm sure they will be happy to see you and hear about what you've noticed.

In my office, we try to tell each individual patient what to expect, based on the observation of many treatments of various areas of the body. We do find that almost all of them can continue with their planned daily activities including fitness workouts (no downtime).

We do not tell patients that the treatments are painless, but rather describe the sensation of the treatment session and the symptoms reported by patients of the subsequent days. Some report pain, but uncommonly enough to interfere with their day or need over-the-counter medication.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon