Adverse Effects of Liposculpture on Pregnancy?

This is a tough one! I had Liposculpture on 4/20/09 on my whole stomach area, upper and lower abdomen and my lower and middle back. Afterwards I had synergy massages, but had to stop because I just found out I am 7 weeks pregnant!

This is a big surprise. I got pregnant just shortly after the procedure. Does the fluid still in my body or the short time period between surgery and conception have any negative effects to the fetus? I am doing my research, please help!

-- Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Pregnancy Shortly After Surgery

Since conception  happened after  the procedure I do not think you have much to worry about. The residual fluid and the possibility of a small amount of residual medication probably will be inconsequential.

Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy.

Liposculpture/liposuction and unrecognized pregnancy

The primary concern is the drug exposure to the fetus during the first 8 weeks of pregnancy. Most of the local anesthetics are considered reasonably safe. However, there are other drugs that could be used during general anesthesia that could cause greater concern. You should notify your obstetrician who will monitor your pregnancy and order appropriate testing and evaluation of your child throughout the pregnancy and delivery. It will be very useful for your physician to get a copy of your operative record and anesthesia record to review the medications used.

Liposculpture and pregnancy

Certified surgery centers such as MetropolitanMD perform pregnancy tests on the day of surgery in order to safeguard woman from inadvertent exposure to drugs which may harm a fetus. As the woman in question completed her procedure before having a procedure it is unlikely that the fetus could have any ill effects.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

You were very lucky not to receive surgery while pregnant

This is the reason that for the patient's safety, in our practice, all women of child bearing age receive a pregnancy test before surgery.

It is unlikely that the fluid that was used during the liposuction will impact your pregnancy. Inform your surgeon of your pregnancy and ask which medications were used in the tumescent fluid for completeness sake. 

Congratulations on your pregnancy and your new baby!

Liposculpture pregnancy risks

It's not the surgery that may be dangerous to your unborn child, it's the potential effects any medication you received or were taking that could possibly be a problem.  You had completed your procedure before becoming pregnant.  It is unlikely that your swelling alone would have any adverse effects, but check with you doctor to be sure.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Effects of Post-Lipsuction swelling on New Fetus?

In all hospitals, for a woman to have surgery she must have a negative pregnancy test. This is done to avoid the POTENTIAL risk to an unrecognized pregnancy. I ASSUME that your test was negative at the time of your 4/2009 operation. Any operation SUBSEQUENT to that would NOT be affected by any medications given to you during the surgery NOR by the residual inflammatory fluid in your tissues which is gradually absorbed every day.

To be sure, I would consult with your OB but I really would not worry about it too much.

Dr. P. Aldea

Unknown, but probably not

This is not an area in which there has been a lot of study to base conclusions, but you are probably OK. Certainly have the pregnancy properly evaluated by your Obstetrician.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon