I had Restylane injected into my lips for the first time 4 months ago. Is it too soon to have another injection?
Doctor Answers 4
4 months after lip injection
Restylane Filler re-injection to the Lips
Hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers such as Restylane may be re-injected and layered most anywhere. There are many reasons to do this:
- smaller amounts incorporate into the tissues easier and provide better water retention as the polar groups are more exposed to the tissues
- larger amounts create a harder firmness or lump
- larger depots of filler have less circulation around them and if they get infected (very rare, but if they do) will not respond as well to antibiotics
- it is easier to shape and layer with more HA as needed to achieve the results you wish
- because of increased inflammatory reaction in the lips, a large amount of filler may create an over-responsive swelling and therefore, dissatisfaction.
- The lips, in particular, require injection artistry with different style filler to volumize versus project the:
- pink or vermillion lip
- project from the wet, underside of lip
- highlight the white line and philtrum
- hide or soften the peri-oral lines
- turn the "frown, up-side down", ie. elevate the corners of the mouth and fill the marionette fold / line.
Good luck with this!
It should be safe to have another injection
You might also like...
Lip injections might need to be repeated in 4 months
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.