I had Restylane injected into my lips for the first time 4 months ago. Is it too soon to have another injection?

I was aiming to increase lip volume but it seems my lips have already returned to their original state.

4 months after lip injection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Yes, it is perfectly fine to get another filler injection into your lips 4 months following your initial treatment. In fact, more filler can be injected 2 weeks after the initial injection if a patient desires more fullness. Fillers in the lips do not last as long as other areas due to the constant movement of that area which breaks down the filler faster. I would recommend more volume of product be injected at your next session which may increase the duration. Best wishes.

Longmont Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane Filler re-injection to the Lips

Dear Adelaide123:

Hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers such as Restylane may be re-injected and layered most anywhere. There are many reasons to do this:
  1. smaller amounts incorporate into the tissues easier and provide better water retention as the polar groups are more exposed to the tissues
  2. larger amounts create a harder firmness or lump
  3. larger depots of filler have less circulation around them and if they get infected (very rare, but if they do) will not respond as well to antibiotics
  4. it is easier to shape and layer with more HA as needed to achieve the results you wish
  5. because of increased inflammatory reaction in the lips, a large amount of filler may create an over-responsive swelling and therefore, dissatisfaction. 
  6. The lips, in particular, require injection artistry with different style filler to volumize versus project the:
    1. pink or vermillion lip
    2. project from the wet, underside of lip
    3. highlight the white line and philtrum
    4. hide or soften the peri-oral lines
    5. turn the "frown, up-side down", ie. elevate the corners of the mouth and fill the marionette fold / line. 
"Less is better; more often" then the idea of "one and done". 

Good luck with this!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

It should be safe to have another injection

For most people, Restylane injected into the lips lasts about 3-4 months. The cosmetic benefits are shorter-lived compared to injections done in other areas of the face that are less mobile, like under the eyes where it can last 6 to 9 months.  The longevity of the aesthetic changes also varies based upon how much is injected, so you should take note of the volume that your Dermatologist uses. Since it's been about 4 months since your last injection, it would probably be worthwhile to schedule another appointment to get the increased lip volume you desire.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip injections might need to be repeated in 4 months

It is not too soon to more Restylane injected. I prefer Restylane Silk for lips. In fact, you can get more filler as soon as you want after the original injection but I usually wait about 2 weeks. Duration of lip filler is around 4 months because the movement of the mouth degrades the filler faster.

Steven F. Weiner, MD