I have never developed breasts. Can I have surgery? (Photo)

I'm 28 years old and have a 9 year old child but I never developed breasts and couldn't breast feed as next to no milk was produced. If my only option is augmentation will I have enough skin to work with and is there any surgeon in south Australia I can see for advice. This has left me with anxiety and depression that I have prescribed medication for and hope I can look like a women some day. Thank you

You are definitely a candidate for breast augmentation based upon the pictures you have provided

In short, you are an excellent candidate for breast augmentation, as that is a very reliable way to increase the size of the breasts, add proportion to your figure, and help you look better and feel better about yourself.

The main issue will be exactly what the best way of doing that is.  Not only are there a number of different types of implants available, but there are different techniques, or ways of putting the implants in, that can be used depending upon your individual needs and body and tissue characteristics.  This can be quite a complicated process, so it will require that you seek personal consultation and examination with a qualified and experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  One option that I can suggest that you consider right off the bat is an anatomically, or tear drop, shaped implant.  These implants do an excellent job of creating a very natural and beautiful shape to the breast, especially in ladies who have very little of their own tissue to camouflage the implants.  Again, this is something that will have to be discussed with your surgeon in detail though.

One other thing to mention, and perhaps the most important thing here, is your depression.  While I understand that one's body image is intimately associated with mood and self-esteem, if your depression and anxiety are bad enough to need medications, I highly suggest that you get far enough along in treatment with your mental health care provider so that those underlying conditions are stable before undergoing surgery.  I also understand that your underdeveloped breasts are contributing to your depression and anxiety in the first place, but I am concerned that they may not be the fundamental cause.  That is to say that there are many ladies out there who have very small, or even deformed, breasts, and while they may be self-conscious about them and desire surgery to improve their appearance, most do not need medications to treat anxiety and depression resulting from the appearance of their breasts.  This is more the exception rather than the rule.  I am concerned that there may be some other issue underlying all of this for you, and if that is not addressed first, you may undergo surgery only to find that those underlying issues are still there, and you are no happier or less depressed and anxious than you were before surgery.  The main point here is that surgery can simply make your breasts larger, and while that may improve your self-esteem, it is not a treatment for depression or anxiety which are severe enough to require medical management or psychotherapy.  Please don't take this as a judgment, because it is not.  In fact, I am coming from a position of concern for you because I have been in situations just like this in which I allowed my ego and the patient's pain resulting from her body image to get in the way, and I thought I could "cure" her depression by doing breast augmentation.  Usually, this fails, as the real cause of the depression is deeper or even unrelated to the breasts themselves, and thus, the surgery does nothing to address this.  In summary, I am not saying don't get breast augmentation; in fact, I think you should at some point.  As I said above, you are a great candidate physically from the current appearance of your breasts, and I think enhancing them will make a big difference in how you feel.  What I am saying, though, is be sure you have fully evaluated and stabilized your mental health issues FIRST before embarking on a surgical plan, because if you don't there is a very real risk that those conditions can be destabilized by the stress of surgery, even if you get a good result, and that can make things worse.

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope one day you are happy, anxiety-free, and you look and feel great about your breasts and yourself!

Breast augmentation may work well for you.

A board certified plastic surgeon should be able to recommend an implant size that will suit your natural anatomy and give you very natural-looking results. A good place to start is by thinking about the "dream look" you want to achieve, then gathering photos that illustrate that look. Once you have a goal in sight, visit a board-certified plastic surgeon for a breast augmentation consultation to learn more about your options for breast enhancement and determine what type of breast implant may be right for you.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Breast Augmentation Candidate

Thank you for your question and photos. I can't see any reason for you not to consider breast augmentation. You will be able to discuss appropriate type, size and placement for your body during your consultation. I recommend that you meet with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Breast implants

Highly recommend breast augmentation for you. The approach should be sub muscular and either saline or silicone implants 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Can you have surgery?

Thank you for the question and the photos.  Yes, you are a candidate for a breast augmentation.  Schedule a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to further discuss your concerns.  Good Luck.

Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Yes you are a candidate for breast augmentation.  I would recommend speaking with a board certified plastic surgeon near you for a discussion about the surgery.  All the best, 

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Consult a board certified plastic surgeon

Based on your photos you appear to be a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question. It appears you are an excellent candidate for breast augmentation surgery. Please have an in-person examination with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic breast procedures. Ask to see a lot of before and after photos of what can be achieved with implants. Hope this helps.

I have never developed breasts. Can I have surgery?

Yes you certainly can have breast augmentation surgery.  The benefit of having small breasts is that your implants can be placed underneath the chest muscle.  Your tissues will stretch to accommodate the implants.

Breast implants are a great option!

Breast augmentation would be an excellent choice for you.to increase your volume.  In women who are thin, or who have very little breast tissue, placing the implants beneath the muscle helps to disguise the borders of the implant and will improve the aesthetic result.  It is likely that your chest wall skin is a bit tight, and therefore there may be a limit to the size of implant you could select and successfully fit into the space beneath that muscle.  

I would meet with a plastic surgeon and determine what your goal end size is.  It may be possible to achieve this in a single surgery.  I would typically order more than one size of implant and use a sizer "practice implant" in surgery to see how much your tissues would accommodate, which would allow to me to select the biggest implant that would safely fit.  

The muscles and skin overlying your chest wall can stretch to accommodate an implant.  Much like a pregnant belly stretches with time, these tissues will loosen with an implant.  You may elect to move to a larger size as time passes.

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the plastic surgeons in your region.  Good luck!