I want to know if I look as though I'm bottoming out and my nipples are too high? (photos)

Hi i am 8 weeks post op and have always noticed my nipples to be quiet high, they hang out of my bras and kind of face up. When i first had my breast augmentation and breast lift done i wasnt happy with the positioning of the implants as they seemed to low...now it seems they are getting lower and lower. I think my implants need to be positioned higher so the nipples will correct themselves and im not bottom heavy....do you think im right???

Wait for some time

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

Bottoming Out and Nipples Too High?

From your photos, your nipples do not appear to be too high nor does there appear to be any bottoming out. It's too early to worry as things are still settling. An assessment of your results should be done at a minimum of six months after your procedure. There is some slight asymmetry of your nipple-areola position - left higher than right.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Bottoming out

I appreciate your concerns. From looking at your pictures the only thing that I can say for certain is that your left nipple does appear slightly higher than the right nipple.  The overall shape of your breasts is  pleasing. With your arms at your side nipple position appears reasonable. An exam with your surgeon is needed. If you do have bottoming out there are number of ways that he could be addressed. I find that adding a horizontal scar underneath your breast sometimes allows removal of extra skin below your nipple which may address bottoming out. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Bottoming out -nipple position

Thanks for your question. Looking at your photos with your arms at your sides your nipple and implant position appear fine. The size and shape of your breasts often will change over the first 3-5 months. I recommend discussing your concern with your plastic surgeon. If there is a concern about implant displacement initially after an augmentation or augmentation lift often times using an underwire bra can help maintain or improve implant positioning but I do not recommend this in your case as your implant position appears to be good and you should do this with the guidance and recommendation of  your surgeon.

Stephen Small, DO
Toms River Plastic Surgeon

I want to know if I look as though I'm bottoming out and my nipples are too high?

Thank you for your question and photographs and I am sorry that your current results have caused you concern.  Based on the images alone it does not appear that your implants are bottoming out or are too low on your chest, but pictures of your chest before surgery would be helpful for comparison.  I would voice your concerns to your surgeon in order to review your operative plan and assess the need for a revision once fully healed.  

Too early to know

The combined procedure of a breast augmentation with a breast lift or mastopexy is a difficult procedure in general and often times will require minor revisions.  Your left nipple does seem a bit high (pseudoptotic) but it is too early to tell and it will require three to four months at least for things to settle to the end result.  I would recommend no revision until at least six months post initial surgery. In order to accurately evaluate your early result it would be necessary to evaluate your before and after pictures and this is something you should request of your surgeon.  It is best to sit down with your surgeon one on one with the photos and go over the results as well as a treatment plan to achieve your goals.

Thank you for your question and photographs.  With your arms at your sides I do not see bottoming out or nipple position too high.  However 8 weeks is far too early to evaluate the final result of a combined breast augmentation with lift.  Wait until your 3-4 months before you evaluate your results.  Of course you need to follow-up in person with her plastic surgeon and express your concerns.

Nipple position

Hello and thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with your result. An examination would be the best way to determine if your nipples are too high. I would set up an appointment with your surgeon to discuss your concerns. He may need to revise the lift portion of the procedure. Best Wishes Theodore T. Nyame MD  Harvard Trained Plastic Surgeon

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician