Facelift followed by laser or peel. Any suggestions?

Could I please have some advice. I am planning a full facelift inc neck and eyes. My skin has some deep wrinkles. Is it safe or ok to have laser or a peel at time of facelift or is it too much trauma on the skin? I have had conflicting answers from 2 different PS. One said as the skin has been lifted and separated from muscle that it must heal first, the other said it didn't matter. I am confused. Thank you in advance

Facelift and Laser Treatments

Great question! Lasers work on the surface of the skin and can absolutely be done at the same time as a facelift. I actually believe that this is to the patients benefit as opposed to doing the two procedures separately. There is less down-time, and patients can enjoy the results of both procedures sooner when they are performed simultaneously. I also believe that laser treatments  enhance a surgical result, so my patients are always very happy with their result when they choose to pursue these treatments together. This all depends on the patients skin type, the laser being used, and the specific setting. Fractional lasers are usually best, but this should always be customized for each individual patient.

I strongly recommend that a patient have their facelift first and wait a few months for laser resurfacing.  When laser resurfacing is combined with a facelift the surgeon cannot go deep enough to create a good result because to do so  and interfere with blood supply and result in skin loss and scarring.  In addition if you wait 3-6 months after your facelift laser resurfacing can add tightening skin and improve the facelift results. pplease read below:

Facelift with Laser Skin Resurfacing

Facelift surgery can safely be performed at the same time as fractional CO2 laser skin resurfacing. We perform this combination on a weekly basis with amazing results. It is important that your surgeon has experience doing them together as their are some nuances that need to be considered. 

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, it is safe to have a facelift/neck lift and also have laser resurfacing during the same operation, typically a fractional CO2 laser is used.  Recent studies have been published, in peer reviewed journals, illustrating the safety and effectiveness of combining these procedures. 
The attached link provides more information.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

Together of Not?

This is a common question that continues to evolve as technologies rapidly change. Lasers encompass many different wavelengths and can penetrate to varying degrees as well as have thermal and ablative effects. Peels encompass several different treatments with TCA being the most common. Many surgeons feel a laser treatment or peel can be safely done a the time of the facelift. This will depend on which laser is used as well as which peel solution is applied. The more aggressive the treatment the more risk for impeding healing postoperatively. In my practice I use TCA at the time of the facelift surgery and have been very happy with the efficacy and safety of the combined treatments

Lee A. Gibstein, MD

Stay away from incision areas

Good question.  I perform perioral (around the mouth) ablative skin resurfacing on the same day as a facelift procedure.  However, I do not perform skin resurfacing on other areas of the face to allow the face time to heal.

Gregory D. Roberts, MD
Richardson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift with or without peel/laser?

Thank you for asking about your face lift.
  • Lasers and peels are done with  face lifts IF the peel/laser avoids the side of the face where the skin is lifted.
  • In the past, for safety, they were never done together - because of the risk of poor healing.
  • This risk however is low.
  • Some surgeons feel it is better to do them separately because of that risk. Others feel it is ok to do together.
  • There is no need to be confused - you can decide whether it suits you better to avoid a risk of poor healing or combine the face lift and the laser because the risk is low.
  • IF YOU ARE A SMOKER - you should not have a peel with the face lift because you have a much higher risk of poor healing.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Facelift: Laser at the same time as surgery

This is a question that I would expect will generate different answers depending on the surgeon with whom you talk. It is best to consider your surgeon's experience performing the procedures together.  There is nothing wrong with educating yourself.  The difference of whether or not it is safe to have the laser performed at the same time as a facelift will depend on the type of laser that is used, the settings that the surgeon uses, and the areas of the face that will be lasered. I frequently perform CO2 fractional laser at the same time as my facelifts, and have been doing so for the past 8 years (over 5,000 face and neck rejuvenation procedures since I started using the laser). I absolutely love the results this technique allows me to achieve for my patients. My patients are able to combine their recovery into one healing time. 

Mark Karolak, DO, FAOCO
Bridgewater Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi.  Most surgeons would not do it at the same time and would either do it before or after.  This is definitely the safest way. My preference is after. 
RegardsDamien Grinsell

Facelifting with laser or peel

You will likely get different answers from surgeons depending on their preferences and facelift technique.  I think that it is safe to go ahead and do some resurfacing at the same time as a facelift procedure.  This is a common combination, and combines the downtime of the 2 procedures into one recovery period.  I would say that it does limit the degree of resurfacing that can be done, and generally would not go with fully ablative laser settings.  Other factors to consider would be the thickness of the skin flap during surgery, which differs by surgeon and facelift technique.  I see you also mentioned eyes, the type of blepharoplasty done may affect what can safely be done around the eyes.  It is also very common to do perioral lasering or peel at the time which is usually considered safe as this skin is not undermined during surgery.

John Harbison, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon