Is my breast implant going to bottom out? (photos)

Hey im nearly 3 months post op. I had 480cc moderate profile implants under the muscle. My concern is in my left breast im experiencing some pain that feels like tearing underneath. It sits slightly lower than my right breast., is it going to bottom out? How long do i need to wait and much would i be looking at for revision surgery to fix it? They have always had a slight difference. Is there a chance of capsular contraction starting in my right breast?

Greetings

Thank you for your photos and question. it is still to early to think about revision surgery for the pain it is normal however you can  contact your surgeon for a follow up.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Is my breast implant going to bottom out?

Its still relatively early days in terms of your post operative recovery and its not unusual to feel burning or tingling sensations as the nerves disturbed during surgery begin to heal. Your photographs don't appear to show implants that are bottoming out.  Small differences between breasts are normal as no two breasts are identical.  Continue to follow your surgeons post operative guidelines and if you remain concerned, arrange a review.

Bottoming Out?

Thank you very much for your question, and for supplying the pictures.

Based solely on your pictures, it doesn't look like your implant is bottoming out.  I would contact your surgeon to discuss the "tearing" underneath your breast, and to examine you for a capsular contracture on the right (again, no obvious signs of a contracture, and 3 months would be pretty early for a contracture to start anyway).  If bottoming out is a concern, your surgeon may suggest taping, or certain bras to wear for now (with underwires).

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Bottoming Out

After breast augmentation the tissues begin to stretch from the weight of implants and the breasts begin to settle. This “drop and fluff” often occurs in the first few months after surgery as the edema finally escapes and the soft tissues and muscles relax. During this time there can be small irregularities and contour deformities present throughout the breasts.

Slight asymmetry is often the rule opposed to the exception - especially as most breasts are asymmetric to begin with.

In addition, there are often sensations such as burning, sharpness, tearing, and pulling can come and go as the tissues heal and the swelling and inflammation subsides. All of these are often due to normal irritation of nerves in the post-operative period.

I do not see anything concerning in the photos, however, your surgeon is the one positioned best to guide you through this process.

Bottoming out?

Based solely on your photos, no, you do not look as if you are bottoming out. Schedule an appointment with your surgeon to assess what's causing your pain. Until then, curtail your activity level just to be on the safe side. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Thank you for posting your question and photos.   Looking at your photos, it does not appear that you have either implant bottoming out.  You do have some slight asymmetry of your nipple-areola complexes that I suspect was there preoperatively as well.  The tearing sensation you feel may be due to pulling of the capsule. Limit your activities until you check with with your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns.  Best wishes. 

Jeanette Padgett, MD, FACS
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Thgabnk you for your question. Your result looks excellent and I see no evidence of bottoming out. See your surgeon to explain your pain.

Bottoming out

From your pictures, it does not appear your implants are bottoming out.  In fact, the result looks quite good in these photos.  It is still relatively early in your recovery, and further changes can be expected over the next few months.  Stay with your surgeon and discuss your concerns with them.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time.  Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Bottoming out

Thank you for the question and photos but you are too early post op to predict bottoming out or capsular contracture so stop worrying and rely on the advice of your surgeon.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD