Can I have a full bath at 17 days post op?

Hello I am starting to feel quite dirty now and I don't have a shower so need to bath. I really am getting fed up with dry skin and having to do 3 different things to be completely clean. I have a bath for waist down, wet wipe top half and then shampoo hair separately. It's getting tedious and although I have spoken to my lovely surgeon and he recommends 3 weeks I'm wondering if it's possible yet. Need advice please

Full bath at 17 days post op.

Thank you for your question. The advise relies completely on your surgeon's recommendations. 

Full bath at 17 days post op

Each surgeon has his or her guidelines for postoperative care. While most surgeons will allow a patient to bathe once the incisions are healed, you should follow your surgeon's guidance as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

I don't think you will find too many surgeons advising you to ignore your surgeon's instructions. Rather than that, consider using a friend's shower.

All the best. 

Consult your surgeon about a bath

You chose your surgeon and now you must follow his instructions.  If it is 3 weeks that is fine.  Every doctor differs on this.   My best,  Dr C

May be okay

I generally advise patients wait until the second day after their surgery before they start showering. Do not take a bath for 2 weeks. However, it's always best to ask your surgeon for their advice first.

Bathing after surgery

Once the incision is closed and healed, I allow my patients to bathe.  Ask your surgeon what he recommends in his practice.  

Chad Robbins, MD

Only your surgeon can advise you on post-op hygiene.

I see no reason you could not bathe 17 days after a breast augmentation if uncomplicated.  Nevertheless, ask your own surgeon.

Bathing after surgery

Thank you for your question.  It is best listen to your doctor's advise, since they know exactly where you are at in your recovery processes.  I allow my patient to shower 24 hours after surgery, but no bathing or soaking in any body of water until the incision are completely healed.  No scabbing or anything can be present to take a bath.  Once the incision is completely healed then your no longer at a risk for infection and are able to take a bath and go swimming and so forth.  This typically is anywhere better 2-3 weeks for most breast augmentation patients, but it can vary on your healing process.

If you would like additional informaiton regarding breast augmentation you can download a free copy of my breast augmentation planner at

Best of luck.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for writing,

I do not know what surgery you have had, so I can't be specific. Personally I have everybody shower the next day regardless of the surgery. I believe we go through all of the pre-op scrubs, skin preps, antibiotics and then we cover the wounds and let them accumulated sweat, oils, dirt, etc, it doesn't make sense to me and never has. There is a saying in surgery, ' The solution to pollution is dilution', dilute out the bacteria.
I typically don't like baths because we sit in dirty water and then wash the rest of our body with dirty water.
They do make attachments for the water tap that is a flexible hand held shower wand, that way there is continuous clean running water. 
That being said, your surgeon has his / her protocols they have developed to take care of patients. They operated on you and therefore have the responsibility of taking care of you. I would ask the again.
Then there are other questions. What surgery did you have? Are all the incisions doing well? Did some of the wound fall apart? Do you have an infected wound? Are you diabetic? And on and on. So, again your surgeon knows you and what he / she feels is best.
I hope that helps
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery