Is adding more bone now from bone added four months ago for an implant normal?

Back in October 2013, I had a tooth (#10) extracted and had a Bone Replacement Graft and Guided Tissue Regeneration - nonrestor (able?) done. I'm now told by an oral surgeon that not enough bone was added in October and that more bone placement is needed at a cost of $1,375. I paid the original dentist about this much for the first adding of bone. Is this normal (is the oral surgeon trying to run costs up) or should I go back to the dentist and ask him or maybe even get a third opinion.

Consult your oral surgeon

2nd opinions are never a bad thing, but your oral surgeon is one of the best people to ask when it comes to anything about bone structure around an implant. You would hate to invest in your implant and have it fail, simply because there isn’t enough bone in the area. You might also ask your dentist about how much bone was placed, although it is possible that the graft just didn’t take as he expected it would.

Australia Dentist

Bone graft

With that amount of money, you can even get an implant, and yes there are some times where bone will necessarily need to be added, as long as the doctor and patient are satisfied with the goals and results. It can happen, depends on each specific case.

Grafts can shrink

Depending on the KIND of graft, there is often some shrinkage.  This means we often build out a large volume of bone so that what remains is "enough".  If we place "just enough" the shrinkage/healing leaves us shy of what is needed.  Without seeing what we have to work with, I can't say if you do or don't need another graft.  Second opinions are never a bad idea, but odds are you are in good hands.