Will Adding Juvederm to my Cheek Hollows Also Help Lift Some Sagging Around my Mouth ?

There is also some sagging around my jawline that is starting to appear. I am 51 years old and have great skin and look young for my age, although the hollowness in my cheek area (i also have very high cheekbones and am fit, some say too thin)bothers me, as does the small sagging that is starting to show on the sides of my mouth. Thank you!

Fillers and cheek hollows

Cheek hollowing and descent can often be treated with facial filler to give a nice result.  It also may imrpove the small amount of sagging.

Fillers and cheek hollows

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Reinflating the face with filler can reverse aging changes around the mouth

At your age, sagging around the mouth can be caused by a number of things. The most common ones are: loss of volume in the face (especially the cheeks) and loss of skin elasticity. Bone loss also can contribute to aging changes especially around the jaw and mouth.

If you think of a balloon that has lost its air, the balloon has folds and sags. If you re-inflate the balloon, the folds go away and it looks "perky" again. So, adding filler in the cheeks can help improve sagging skin around the mouth, particularly in the smile lines (nasolabial folds).

You may also require some skin resurfacing and or lifting to further enhance your results.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Filling the cheek hollows helps lift sagging in the lower face

You are absolutely right.  The loss of volume (soft tissue, fat and bone tissue) in the face is responsible for the sagging skin.  It's equivalent to a deflating balloon.  As the skin sags with decreased supporting structure, we get wrinkles and folds around the mouth, jowls, etc.

Revolumizing the upper and midface will help lift and minimize the laugh lines, marionette lines and jowls.  Some filler is usually needed in these folds themselves as there is loss of soft tissue and bone around the mouth and nose as well.  It all works well in conjunction with each other.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Nonsurgical face lift

Juvederm Voluma is an excellent option to restore volume in the cheeks and provide a non surgical mid face lift. Voluma can be combined with Juvederm (which works well around the mouth) to provide a nonsurgical facelift.

Nonsurgical face lift

Juvaderm is not the best filler to support and volumize cheeks

Juvaderm is not the best filler to support and volumize cheeks. This is because Juvaderm is a relatively thin product meant for injection into the dermis of the skin. Other more viscous agents like Radiesse or sollagen stimulators like Sculptra seem to work better.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Juvederm for cheek hollows

In my experience this combination gives good improvement with the non-surgical approach you mentioned. My favorite filler is currently Juvederm which is minimally uncomfortable and can be utilized to give very nice correction to all of the areas you mentioned. That and a good skin care regimen will go a long way toward keeping you looking young.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm for cheek hollows

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm to make you smile again

Though, as you can imagine, it's difficult to know if Juvederm is the perfect solution for you, it is a great option for volumizing the cheeks and smoothing some of the contours in the marionette lines and along the jawline.  Adding Juvederm around the corners of the mouth can add support the that area and keep the lips from turning down and looking like a frown.  Often we add a little Botox to the depressor muscles on the sides of the chin (DAO) to keep them from dragging the corners of the mouth down as well.  The two in combination are great!

Dr. Grant Stevens

Juvederm to make you smile again

Dr. Grant Stevens

Dermal Filler to Re-Volumize & When Surgery May be an Option

As we age, we gradually lose volume from the face as a result of depleting soft tissue, muscle, and bone, which act as support structures under the skin. As this occurs, our skin starts to degenerate, deflate, and descend. Cheeks appear flatter and sunken in (creating a hollowed appearance), undereye troughs deepen, the temples appear sunken in, lines form around the mouth, and jowls become more prominent. In order to re-inflate the envelope (picture re-inflating a beach ball), dermal fillers are injected into these areas of depleted volume, creating a lifted, smoother appearance.

At age 51, surgery may also be an option for you. Depending on your level of skin laxity and your desired level of correction, a facelift may offer a more definitive result. However, although a facelift produces a firmer, less wrinkled, more youthful appearance, it will not solve the issue of volume loss, and you will likely still require dermal fillers to re-establish definition in the cheeks.

Consult with an experienced Cosmetic Dermatologist in your area to help guide you in determining the best treatment options for your concerns. If you are more inclined to explore your surgical alternatives, it is best to consult with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Frances Jang, MD
Vancouver Dermatologic Surgeon

Frances Jang, MD
Vancouver Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm - cheek hollows

Unfortunately placing Juvederm in your cheek hollows is unlikely to help the sagging of your skin around your mouth - your jowels.  If you have deep marionette lines around your mouth, Juvederm in these areas can help.  However, you may need a facelift to get the results you want.  I'd recommend you see an experienced Plastic Surgeon so they can evaluate your individual anatomy and tell you what treatments will give you the results you hope to achieve.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD, FACS

Juvederm - cheek hollows

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD, FACS

Soft Tissue Fillers Fill but do not Lift the Face!

Soft Tissue Fillers used today are wonderful for Filling and softening areas like the Nasolabial folds, lips and outer chin hollowed areas.   They do not Lift the cheek or sides of the mouth .  Facelift surgery will lift the cheek but even that cannot reliably do much to the sides of the aging mouth.   This requires lifting , filling and sometimes even a Laser to soften the deep creases as well

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Rod J. Rohrich, MD