Who should perform an Adams Apple reduction?

I am 34 old female (I think so !) . I am very self conscious about my look, because I have thin face and I have prominent Adams apple. I want to do Adams apple reduction but there is no experience Doctors where I live (Middle East) . Who is the Best Doctor to do this procedure , Can the ENT doctor do it? or it is only Plastic surgeon? . Any suggestion ? where is the best place to do it? I can add some picture privately if doctor request it.

Tracheal Shave

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Mary, 

Ideally you should go to someone who does this specific procedure regularly to get the best results.  If there is no one in your region and you are unable to travel an ENT surgeon would likely have much more experience with surgery on the voice box than a plastic surgeon.  The most important part of the procedure is protecting the voice, and an ENT surgeon who performs voice box cancer resections or one who does voice surgery for paralyzed vocal cords should be able to safely perform this procedure. After performing many of these procedures, though, a surgeon will be able to remove the maximum amount of cartilage (which is creating that visible bump) while still maintaining safety.  It might be best to travel to an experienced practitioner rather than wondering if you could have gotten a better result. Good luck.

Bryan Rolfes, MD

Minneapolis Otolaryngologist

Who to choose

This surgery is frequently request by the transgender population in conjunction with gender affirming surgeries. Overall it is not a popular procedure so it is key to find somebody who does them frequently. 

A consultation would be key to have a full neck and facial analysis to delineate which tissue planes are involved. If it is only the cartilage then a shave is likely all you need. Some times fat grafting and or liposuction is added to really contour the neck.

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Adam's apple reduction.

I have done this surgery for 35 years on females and males as well as TG patients. Choose a plastic surgeon who has done hundreds of these for the best results.