What's the difference between a tummy tuck and a tummy pull? How long does it take to heal and go back to work from a pull?

Tummy tuck vs. tummy pull

I have never heard the term "tummy pull" so I assume it is just some doctor's marketing term used to try and separate him/her from other doctors who perform a tummy tuck.  My bet is that it is the same thing.  Assuming that to be the case, each doctor has his/her own protocol for returning to work or strenuous activity following a tummy tuck.  In my practice, I tell patients to avoid strenuous activity for three weeks following a tummy tuck.

Tummy pull

apparently I am not the only person who has not heard of a tummy pull.  is this a term youd doctor used?  anyway  the usual tummy tuck is 2-3 weeks for a desk job and 6-8 weeks for a manual labor job  

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

What's the difference between a tummy tuck and a tummy pull?

Thank you for your question.  Having not heard the term "tummy pull," I can only assume that it is a layman term for tummy tuck or abdominoplasty, in which the loose skin is pulled down.  How quickly you can return to work will depend on the type of work you will be doing.  A more sedentary job will allow you to return faster than a job that requires prolonged standing, lifting, reaching, pushing or pulling.  Patients heal at different rates but typically the return to work time frame for a less physical job is 3 weeks and for a more strenuous job, it is more like 4 to 6 weeks.  I hope this helps!

Tummy Pull?

I am not familiar with the term tummy pull and it may be just another way of saying tummy tuck. That being said, most patients can go back to all but the most physically demanding of jobs in about 10 days to two weeks in our practice. Hope that's helpful. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  I am not exactly sure what a tummy pull is from a surgical point of view as I have only heard this term in terms of an exercise movement.  Perhaps you are referring to a difference between full tummy tuck and mini tummy tuck?  A tummy tuck involves the surgical removal of excess, loose skin and adipose tissue from the stomach region in order to leave a flatter, tighter appearance.  I would recommend seeing an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to discuss your goal results, as they can inform you of the best treatments to help you attain them.  Hope this helps.