Will I be able to achieve cleavage and natural looking breasts? (Photo)

5'2, 110 lbs, 26 y/o, no kids I'm interested in breast augmentation but concerned that I do not have enough natural breast tissue to achieve a natural look. I want to avoid the "tennis balls" look and have cleavage after the procedure. The last picture is the type of look I'm hoping to achieve- I don't need that amount of volume, but like the shape and cleavage.

Will I be able to achieve cleavage and natural looking breasts?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. Your anatomy. To be quite favorable but keep in mind there is a limit to how large implant can safely be placed depending in part on skin and breast tissue distensability and availability.  You have a naturally nice cleavage and this should be supplemented by additional volume from implant placement but I would advise you against going too large since the process of placing a very large implant can be destructive and lead to future thinning and complications.  I personally would recommend against seeking the size that you show in your goal picture and would recommend you being somewhat more conservative for your own benefit.

Be certain to meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon who can show you many before-and-after pictures of their results.  In my practice I favor either a periareolar incision or transaxillary incision and recommend against the potentially visible inframammary scar.

You enjoy watching the video link below for discussion of how I select the final implant during the actual surgical procedure rather than in advance.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California
IG: jonperlmanmd

Desires cleavage

You have a great beginning to shape for a Breast Augmentation.  And you should have a great shape after getting implants.  As far as the same cleavage as the picture you posted.  It is unlikely that you'll get that much cleavage without being in a bra.  I suggest you see an experienced PS to go over your wishes.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Will you be able to achieve cleavage and natural looking breasts?

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another.  See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a Breast Augmentation Always insist on a board certified plastic surgeon.

Breast Augmentation Limitation

You are correct that an implant that would give you your wish pics in size will leave you with a very different appearance, mostly due to a lack of your own tissue. There is no way around this, it is simply a limitation of breast augmentation. My recommendation is to have implants placed that do not exceed your anatomic capacity, possibly using shaped, highly cohesive devices. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons who specialize in breast surgery. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Excellent candidate for breast augmentation

Choose your surgeon wisely.

The first thing you should do is check the ASPS website for a list of doctors in your area.  Then look at online reviews.  Check the surgeon's website.  Look at their results.  Ask around to see if you have any personal references, these can be very helpful.  Once you have screened the doctor, meet with them. If they are professional and sincere, educated and experienced, if they listen to your concerns and develop a plan which fits with your goals, you have found a good match.

Natural look for breast augmentation

You are an excellent candidate for breast augmentation because of your pre augmentation status.  The round tennis ball look is obviously not natural, and in your particular situation, round smooth silicone implants placed above the muscle will afford you a natural appearance with good cleavage.

Malcolm A. Lesavoy, MD

Thank you for your pictures and questions. I think that you have excellent starting anatomy and will do great with augmentation. I think your cleavage will improve significantly, but may never get the point that is shown in the wish picture. If you are concerned about an overly round appearance, consider choosing a reasonably small implant and also discuss the possibility of shaped cohesive silicone implants. I think they can provide an excellent result in the right patient (see link provided)! Make sure you see a local PS who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Hope this helps!

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Cleavage and natural looking breasts

A few important factors in breast augmentation are the starting shape, symmetry, and cleavage of the breasts. Based on your photos, yes I do think you can achieve the cleavage and a natural look you are after. In terms of achieving a natural look when your own breast tissue volume is low, several things can help give a natural look- moderate volume implants, placed under the muscle, and silicone implants rather than saline. The volume of implant needed to match the volume in the "wish pic" would not give you a natural look though, because the woman in that photo also has more skin, whereas that sized implant in your skin would look tighter and more tennis ball like than it does when the skin is looser. Sometimes the tennis ball look is also due to a capsular contracture having developed, or the size of implant chosen. I would recommend only board certified plastic surgeons for this type of consultation and procedure. 

Anita Patel, MD, FACS

Natural Breast Augmentation

I would suggest using an Allergan High profile form stable anatomic shaped style 410 implants for the look you are wanting.  This prevents unnatural upper pole fullness you are looking to avoid.

John L. Burns Jr., MD