Pain 23 days post op. Should I go back to see my PS?

I'm Still feeling pain in the lower side section of my breast 23 days post up. It's actually keeping me up at night now as it is quite uncomfortable. I'm trying to to do too much but I have a baby and so at times I have to lift her. Should I go back to see my PS?

Too much too soon

You answered your own question.  You are doing too much too soon.  You are jeopardizing your outcome.  After breast implant surgery, I advise the patients to take one week off from work. At that point we take out their stitches and teach them the implant massage technique. We suggest 5 times per day with the massage and no bra for one month. The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity. At one month, the patients start to wear a soft cup bra with no underwire and can start low impact cardio. At two months they can wear an underwire bra and engage in more strenuous physical activity. Breast massage continues forever, although only once per day.

Post Op Concerns

It is not unusual to feel some discomfort and tightness still at 3 weeks post- especially with increasing activity and use of arms. Be sure to check with your Plastic Surgeon regarding activities which are safe for you at this point post op. Let your Plastic Surgeon know if you have concerns about how you are healing.

All the best

At 23 days post op most patients are no longer experiencing pain.  You may be having pain to excessive lifting of your baby, but, I would suggest you see your surgeon in a timely fashion.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation

Given the proximity (3 weeks) from surgery I would venture to say that the discomfort is normal if the augment ion  was done under the muscle. It is not  uncommon to still feel discomfort or pain several weeks out. It depends on the patient, the surgical technique and other factors. If the breasts are either feeling or looking different, then consultation with your plastic surgeon earlier then the scheduled followup would be advised. Hope this is helpful. 

Michael D. Cohen, MD

Thank you for your question.  If you're having persistent pain beyond 3 weeks after your surgery, you should go to your plastic surgeon to get evaluated.  In the meantime, try to avoid any heavy lifting.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Pain after breast augmentation

Your pain is likely muscular and may very well be due to lifting your child. This will probably improve slowly over time. Altering the way you handle your child and perhaps adding Motrin or a similar medication may make you more comfortable until things improve.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

If your child weighs more than 15 pounds, it is more that I let my patients lift at this stage. You need to call your surgeon.

Duration of pain and discomfort variable among patients

The magnitude of the symptoms you describe are more than I would expect at 23 days following surgery.  While this may still be within your normal healing response, it would be best to have your surgeon provide reassurance that all is well by scheduling a visit with him/her.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Even though you are still early from surgery, you should not be having pain that keeps you up at night. Please call your surgeon and asked to be seen today.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Pain three weeks post BA

You should see your surgeon to discuss your concerns.  It may be easily remedied with conservative measures such as rest and ice or over the counter medications.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon