I am female, 36. puffed. Shall I do a facelift?

My face become puffy after Liposuction. I gained five kilos and then lost them but my face stayed the same, I always stand in front of the mirror and push my face skin up using my fingers from both sides and i look in my early 20s. there is no much information about a face lift at the age of 30s. But I am thinking..... If I did a mini surgery at this age, i will look 20s and in my 40s i will look 30s, it is going to be great! t. does that how it works??

Dear. Sarah Faris,

Without a photo, it is really impossible to give you any kind of accurate recommendation. In general, the 30's are a bit young for a facelift. However, if you see significant improvement by lifting up your cheeks then you might be a candidate. My best advice would be for you to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who can assess you in person and discuss options. It may turn out that a bit of filler in the cheek area could solve your problem. Hope this helps.

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

It is rare but some facelifts are performed in patients in their 30s.  If you have a history of significant weight loss which results in skin excess, then chronological age is not a deterrent.  If you notice a significant improvement by pushing your cheek skin upward and laterally, a mini lift may be the right procedure for you.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

In 30s. If I did a mini surgery at this age, i will look 20s and in my 40s i will look 30s, is that how it works?

Hi, Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts and basically that's how it works.  When properly performed making the face more feminine and naturally attractive the face appears youthful and these benefits carry over as you continue to age.  In ten years, if you repeat the process you look even younger.    Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

If the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed. My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

That is a good question. A facelift can be done in your 30s-40s IF you have loose skin and you are a good candidate. In fact, some new research shows women/men that have SMAS facelifts done in their 40s get much longer lasting, better results. Does this mean everyone should get it done in their 40s? Of course not, the key is can you make a difference, if the answer is yes, great! I recommend consulting with several Board Certified Plastic Surgeons that do a lot of SMAS facelifts and choose someone you feel comfortable with. Best wishes!

Facelift At An Early Age

Without photos, it is difficult to address your specific concerns; however, you do mention that there isn't much information on facelift surgery for people in their thirties.  This is because, in general, most people do not have the issues of sagging skin, jowls, sagging jawlines etc. in their thirties.  This does not mean that there aren't some people who would benefit from a facelift at this age.  Genetic issues, health issues, smoking, exposure to sunlight can all cause premature aging, and can affect people in their thirties.  I suggest you find a board certified plastic surgeon who works on the face (not just body), and have a consult.  Study his or her reviews, photos, and hospital affiliations.  

The definition of facial rejuvenation varies from surgeon to surgeon and means different things to different patients. In general it is the process to try to reverse the facial appearance caused by aging. It may involve improving the skin texture and complexion, diminishing skin discoloration, minimizing fine lines and wrinkles, contouring hollows, or tightening loose tissue that has lost its elasticity. There are a variety of procedures, both non-surgical and surgical which can be utilized to achieve these various goals. 
Fillers, Botox or Dysport, micro-fat grafts, chemical peels, a skin care program, lasers, skin tightening, and surgical lifts are some of the methods that are used to achieve a cosmetic improvement. Each has advantages and disadvantages as well as limitations of what they can achieve. The best technique or combination of procedures depends on desired outcome, individual anatomy, underlying medical health, and extent of aging. There is no one approach that is ideal for everyone. 
I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with who has all of the modalities of treatment available. If you live outside of the United States, the surgeon shouldideally be a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS).  You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. Facial rejuvenation needs to be individualized. What would be an ideal approach for one patient is not necessarily the same for someone else. Based on the examination and discussion at the consultation, you should have a better understanding of the various options that can achieve the best cosmetic result for you.
Robert Singer, MD FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Face lift for fullness after liposuction

Thank you for asking about your face lift.
  • I am sorry you face became puffy after liposuction -
  • If your weight is the same as before, it sounds as though the fat that was removed has returned and settled partly in your face.
  • One can't say if a face lift will help you - one needs at least a photo to see the issues bothering you.
  • Face lifts make the person look refreshed - but there is no predictable 'years off' result.
  • Some women look great for their age, others may look much much younger.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Professional skin care and facial volume restoration are good starting points.

Hi, I just added a link that might be helpful...

Hi SarahFaris.  Thank you for your question.  Whether you have a mini or full facelift, the scars are positioned to be hidden within the hairline and around your ears.  A better estimate of what you will look like (instead of pushing skin up) involves pulling the skin from the hairline and ears. Having skin with good elasticity and good volume within the cheeks and folds around the nose & mouth will maximize your surgical result and may be a good starting point. Consult with an experienced, certified Plastic Surgeon for full evaluation. Best wishes,

Needs evaluation

An evaluation with a plastic surgeon will help to analyze the benefits of facelift surgery.  Facelifts or a mini lift can be beneficial in younger patients.