I wear a size A but can't even fit into a bra. What's the best option for me? (Photo)

Do you think I should gain weight before thinking about any surgery ? I also have a benign tumor in my left breast which makes me look like I have some sort of cleavage but not really. Please help !!!

Weight Gain before Breast Augmentation

Weight gain might make your breast augmentation appear more natural and blend better with your body.  You did not give you height and weight, but for optimal weight, give yourself a hundred pounds for the first 5 feet and then add 5 to 7 pounds for every inch of height after that.  Or check a BMI chart on-line and see where you fall.

In my experience of thousands of breast augmentations (although I do not have any hard data) women who are under weight get more capsular contractures and have a less natural looking breast.

I also find that women who are "bottom heavy" tend to keep tight control of their weight to keep their hip smaller to help body proportions if they are small on top.  The augmentation relieves that problem to a large extent making their proportions better and they are more comfortable at a bit higher weight.

You deserve to have a more feminine look.  Find a board certified and experienced surgeon who you mesh well with and get an exam and further guidance.

All the best!

Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

All the preoperative issues have to be resolved and sometimes I'll ask my patients to get medical clearance from a breast oncologist to evaluate the breast. Most patients that come into my office and are and A cup or less are given two options. Place a small implant and get a B cup result or use a tissue expander under the muscle and stretch the breast into a larger size. Once this is complete I place a larger size implant and the results are great. Most patient can achieve a C cup with this two stage technique.

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain prior to breast augmentation

There is no reason to gain weight prior to breast augmentation.  I recommend you see an experienced plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Best of luck.

Breast Augmentation and weight gain

Hi, there is no reason to gain weight prior to having a breast augmentation. Your chest looks like many we see in the practice. Make sure you find a board certified plastic surgeon to perform this surgery. Do your research prior to surgery, how many MD performs annually, complications, speak with clients of theirs. Good Luck!

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS

There Is No Need To Gain Weight To Have This Procedure. Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote. When you're looking for a cosmetic procedure you find a surgeon that has been certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Thank you for your question.

Rami Ghurani, MD

Breast Augmentation Options

Thank you for your question and photos. Small/underdeveloped breasts are not a problem for breast augmentation at all- many women start where you are. Your Plastic Surgeon will want to discuss considerations for the breast tumor though. I recommend that you book a consultation to meet with a Plastic Surgeon in person and they will examine you, discuss your goals and your options.

All the best

Implants can help

Unfortunately, weight gain does not seem to go where one would wish.
Breast implants are certainly a good option for you.

Breast augmentation and weight

You don't need to gain your weight if this is where you are comfortable. You should know though that significant weight change and pregnancy could change your surgical results in the future. It's most important that before you consider surgery, you make sure you have good breast health. It's imperative to verify the  stability of your benign tumor. To see before and after photos of women who are similar to you in height, weight and starting cup size, click on the link below. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." 

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Need to Gain Weight Before Breast Augmentation

While the idea of gaining more weight to add to their breast size before breast augmentation is appealing to many thin women, there is no certainty that the added weight will go to the breasts and not other less desired places.  From your photos, it appears that a breast augmentation would be the best option for you to meet your desired goals.  To do this correctly, a consultation and an examination with one or more board-certified plastic surgeons is recommended.  Ask any and all questions that you have.  The only "dumb" question is the one you do not ask.  Each of the surgeons you meet with should explain what they recommend and more importantly, why they recommend that course of treatment.  Once you have done your homework, you can make your decision and proceed.   I hope this helps. 

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  You do not need to gain any weight for a good result.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good surgical technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD