Abdominoplasty, Umbilicoplasty, or What?

After having my second child, the skin above my belly button became more loose and I have a few stretch marks above the belly button as well. It appears to be I guess what you may call slightly herniated with a small crater type "dip" half an inch above the belly button too, which may be the result of the skin permanently stretching out. I wouldn't go as far as a full tummy tuck because my skin everywhere else is tight and I'm in good physical shape. A bikini is out of the question at this point

Doctor Answers 5

Abdomioplasty or umbilicoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking, after child birth most patient will require abdominoplasty. The reasons for this are, excess skin, streatched belly button, loss of waist definition and muscle stretching in the midline (diastasis). In some cases a different approach is needed such as mini tummy tuck. To determine exactly what you need you need to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. You want to be very clear about your results. Good luck



San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty, Umbilicoplasty, or What

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A photo might help me answer this one, but I think an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon is far more likely to allow for a realistic assessment of your options. If indeed your skin is otherwise taut, a tummy tuck wouldn't accomplish what you want anyway, though sometimes a "reverse" TT with incision under the breasts can tighten the upper abdomen.

Thanks and best wishes.

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon

Tummy contouring

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Although you made a good attempt to describe your abdomen, it is impossible to make any recommendations without a formal physical exam.  My suggestion - please see a board certified PS surgeon for a consultation and he/she will give your their best recommendations.  Best of luck.

Umbilicoplasty or abdominoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If the problem you are describing is localized to the area of the umbilicus, you may be able to have just an umbilicoplasty.  An examination would be necessary to assess whether this is an appropriate procedure for you.  A mini-tuck deals with loose skin in the lower abdomen only, below the umbilicus and, from your description, it doesn' t sound like the right operation.  Please post photos for a more definitive response.

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Although you have provided a good description of your physical examination, a full consultation ( including physical examination and a full communication of your goals) will be necessary to determine what operation (if any)  will  best serve to meet your goals.  If you wish to submit photographs, more  precise advice may be provided online.

Best wishes.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.