I Had an Abdominoplasty Recently and I Have Wrinky Skin Around the Scar

I had an abdominoplasty on dec/14. My skin got tight but I see wrinkly skin near the scar. I feel like if the skin is being held by something so i though it was the stitches I haven't seen the doctor since he is on a holiday vacation. The nurse that removed the drains from me said that it will get smooth and tight in time since that is not the wrinkly/loose skin that I had and that the skin is like that because of stitching a big side to a smaller side. Im worried that i might have to repeat it

Post-Tummy Tuck Skin Pleating near the Scar

The current result at 2 weeks after your Tummy Tuck is NOT the final result. The Pleating IS the result of having a lot more skin along the upper than along the lower portion of the incision. To get the two sides of the incision to come together wider portions of the upper incision had to be brought in to narrower stitch lengths on the lower. These pleats invariably flatten and smooth out in the subsequent 6-8 months after surgery. You MAY however require liposuction of the abdomen and flanks to further improve your result by reducing the step-off between the abdomen and groin and hip areas. This can be done safely in 6 months or so should you wish to have it.

Excess abdominal skin after tummy tuck

I believe the answer you received from the nurse is true and with time your scar will improve.  Please discuss with your surgeon strategies like silicone sheeting which may improve your result.

Tummy Tuck Results?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

It is very likely that your nurse is correct;  results of the surgery will improve over the course of the next several months.  It may take up to a year for the skin to fully redrape.

Skin Wrinkling

Be patient, the pleating will improve over several months.  There is nothing necessary at this time and this will likely resolve after 6 to 12 months.

Results 2 Weeks after Tummy Tuck

At this time, it is hard to predict the final result. Most likely, things will look much better after 3 to 4 months.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Wrinkly skin post tummy tuck

This sounds as though it is some pleating that has occurred because the incisions have different lengths and so you have to bring them into alignment which leads to pleating.this will reolve after several months.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Pleats

Pleats can happen when the upper incision is longer than the lower because of the extra tissue. This usually softesn up over 6 months to a year. Give it time.