Abdominoplasty/Gynecomastia 6-7 Months Post-op, Unhappy WIth Results. Can I Get A Revision? (photo)

Due to weight loss I had Abdominoplasty/Gynecomastia surgery back in May 2011 from board certified doctor.Before surgery my doctor said he would make my stomach and chest flat. It has been 6-7 months post-op as you can see my results were fairly poor.I still continue to wear my compression garment at night if I do not my stomach looks more bloated. As I really want reconstruct these areas,is it possible to get these results? 

Revisionary Surgery?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

With all due respect, I do not see ( in your pictures)  what I would call a “fairly poor” result. To be fair,  I would need to see before pictures as well.

I would suggest that you allow one year ( after surgery)  to pass to allow for complete skin contraction to occur. If you are still displeased,  I would suggest calm/nonaccusatory conversation with your plastic surgeon.

As the other doctors online have mentioned,  realistic expectations is of paramount importance.

Expectation mismatches in plastic surgery

I don't see in your photos what would be considered to be a "fairy poor" result.  These issues are best discussed calmly with your plastic surgeon because it may be that your expectations from surgery were beyond what could have been achieved.

Unhappy With Results of Abdominoplasty/Gynecomastia Surgery

It's very early in your recovery from gynecomastia surgery. As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. 

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

I must agree

Your results in general is considered good.  The abdomen is very good. The chest maybe flatter but depends on the skin quality.  Surgery for weight loss is skin which has lost some of the contractility properties.  You must be realistic with this.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Even with or with out before and after photos to compare, you need to understand over the internet is a very restricted method to obtain advise. In your case I agree with Drs Rand, Wallach &  Khoobehi that your realistic expectations outweigh the good result obtained. 

Unhappy 7 months post abdominoplasty and gynecomastia surgery

You need to really contact your surgeon (was it a board certified Plastic surgeon?) and discuss you concerns. He/she can review your situation and progress and hopefully clarify and satisfy these issues. Revisions can be performed provided that they make sense and will predictably provide a noticeable improvement. This is not necessarily clear in your situation.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Post-op results

WIthotu comparing the pre-op and post-op photos it is hard to tell what you are dissatisfied with because yoru posts look reasonably good.  In most cases these procedures will not make you skin tight .

Your before surgery picture would have been helpful

Your results should be compared to your before pictures. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon. There are limitations to each surgery and sometimes patient expectations exceeds the procedure limitations.There are minor issues that can be improved with revision.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon