Abdominal Liposuction with the INVASIX Radiofrequency-assisted Method?

I had abdominal liposuction with the INVASIX radiofrequency method. After the surgery I was instructed to wear a girdle. The problem is the girdle was excessively tight, to the point of breathlessness, intense stomach pain and acid reflux. On the third day post-surgery, I found myself absolutely suffering, so I bought an around-the-waist girdle, with powerful velcro, which my husband fitted very tightly around me. Will this bear the same tightening results as the liposuction girdle?

Pressure garments after liposuction should not be too tight.

Most surgeons have their patients where a compressive garment after liposuction. The magnitude of the pressure is not nearly as important as continuity over time. The garment to go on easily and apply consistent mild pressure. Tight garments can create isolated depressions and possibly a tourniquet effect.

Garments

Garments should be comfortably snug and not so tight they cause pain or numbness.  More important is to make sure the garment isn't causing creases or folds in the swollen postop tissues.  It should be snug and smooth.  Check with your surgeon, he will want to know.

Garments After Liposuction

My personal opinion is that the first garment should be fitted for you in the office prior to surgery and applied in the operating room. The problem is that only an estimate as to the right size is possible prior to surgery and it could either be to loose or too tight as you describe. If too tight to the point of pain or not being able to breathe, contact your plastic surgeon's office immediately. On the other hand, with time often it will become loose as the edema is mobilized and then it will need to be replaced. Spanx is a reasonable compression garment if it gives enough support and is the right size. I have my patents bring them in and confirm that it fits well.
Most important advice is to listen to your surgeon's advice as he best knows how much fat was removed, the elasticity that remains in your skin and amount of skin redundancy.
I recommend my patients wear their garments for a minimum of 3 weeks full time then for 12 hrs (day or night). if not a lot of redundant skin following liposuction to a maximum of 6 weeks. To be effective the garment needs to fit snug but not too tight as to cause pressure problems (inspect your skin if discomfort and when skin is exposed), or prevent you from sleeping. As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits - A Spanx type garment would work rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor;'s office.
Liposuction requires compression garments for three main reasons:
it restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure
It decreases the amount of bruising
It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking

#LiposuctionGarmentImportance

Compression Garments after Liposuction

Compression garments should be approved by your plastic surgeon.  I give everyone the compression garments so that I know what they are wearing.  I recommend wearing these garments as instructed for 4 to 6 weeks to optimize final contours.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Postoperative garment

You should be fine with your new garment- the purpose of this "girdle" is to minimize motion between the skin and the underlying muscle while healing occurs- pressure should be firm but not excessively uncomfortable.