Getting abdomen done should I get the bra roll done as well?

I went in for a consultation and in my notes I wrote that I was interested in having work done on my waist, full abdomen, and bra roll. I thought the Dr would be able to suck a lil bit of the fat out from under the bra area but he informed me that they would basically do the whole bra area upper and lower which is $3,000 extra. I was told that there is not much there but now I am considering not getting the bra roll done and just doing abdomen and waist. I don't know what to do please help???

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Consider a second opinion

You may want to consider a second opinion. RealSelf answers without pictures hardly count as additional opinions.

If I understand what you're saying correctly, your doctor does not believe that you have a significant amount of fat in your back bra area.

It also sounds like you wanted him to treat just a small area, but he wants to charge you for a full area if he's going to treat it.

Having done over 2,000 laser liposuction procedures, I can tell you that liposuction generally only delivers limited results in the back bra roll area. The reason is that most people's back bra roll is a loose skin issue. There is a natural skin attachment just below the back bra roll. When we put our arms down, the skin does not drop below that crease, and, as a result, it folds. That is where your back bra roll is. It's a roll. There may be significant amounts of fat in that area, in which case the area can be made smaller with liposuction. 

The roll itself usually does not go away with liposuction.  

To help assess how much body fat is in your back bra roll, try holding one arm up in the air and pressing the skin onto your ribs in that area with your other hand. If you pinch the area, you are pinching two layers of skin and two layers of fat. It requires a bit of a reach. Next, do the same thing but with the other arm in a downward position. You may notice a significant difference. You can also try it in front of a mirror. When reviewing surgeons' before-and-after pictures of back liposuction, look carefully at the positions of the arms in both the before-and-after pictures. They should be in the same position.

I have an expression: "loose skin is the enemy of liposuction". The more loose skin, the less of a candidate an area is for liposuction.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Liposculpture techniques for the body

Our office specializes in liposculpture techniques using VASER, laser, and tumescent liposuction. The two areas you mentioned complement each other and doing them together may improve your profile.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Do what bothers you

The areas that bother you should be sculpted all at the same time.  It results in better overall appearance and treats the trunk as a single aesthetic unit.  If you want your bra roll done but do not want the upper back suctioned tell the surgeon.  If they are not listening to your concerns, find another surgeon.

Bra roll fat

Do the areas that concern you. Without photos, I cannot give you any specific answers. Discuss all your concerns with your surgeon. If the area that bothers you is small and not worth the investment, then don't do surgery in that area.  However, bra lines typically don't improve with time.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Consult with your surgeon

This is hard to say without seeing a photo of the area. My suggestion is to consult with your surgeon to discuss what will give you the contour you are looking for. Thank you for your question.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Bra Rolls do great with liposuction .

Bra rolls or Midback rolls/axillae(armpit areas) do great with liposuction but often need to be done separately if your tummy and flanks are large.  Sincerely,
David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

To best help you, a physical examination or picture evaluation is required in order to determine which procedures and techniques would be best for your case.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

I generally charge about $6500 for liposuction of the abdomen, flanks, and bra roll area.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year. Look for great reviews and great before and after pictures.

Liposuction of Bra Roles in Los Angeles

Bra Roles can be a big problem! I often get asked from women during liposuction consultations about liposuction of bra roles because this area can be very problematic when women want to wear different types of tops and/ or bras. Liposuction of the bra roles and the upper back is often done in conjunction with liposuction of abdomen and flanks in my plastic surgey practice in Beverly Hills. I recommend that you speak with your plastic surgeon so that he might be able to make an adjustment for you, so that you can hav this procedure donea at the same time as the rest of your lipsocution.

Sean Younai, MD, FACS