Do I need a rhinoplasty? I'm 23 currently. Should I wait for it or get it done as soon as possible? (Photo)

Do you want a rhinoplasty and can your concerns be addressed surgically

Need is a relative term in the field of cosmetic surgery. The question is what concerns you and can these concerns be addressed surgically. A consult with a Facial Plastic Surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty will best serve you. You only provided pictures from the front and didn't tell us your concerns.

Harrisburg Facial Plastic Surgeon

You Only "Need" Rhinoplasty If You Want It

Thanks for your question. Unless your nose is causing you respiratory issues or other medical concerns, there's no "need" for rhinoplasty. I want to emphasize that rhinoplasty is right for your only if you personally are dissatisfied with the size or shape of your nose — not anyone else. Most surgeons perform rhinoplasty on patients as young as 16 or so, so there's no need to wait for surgery if you're certain you want it now. Please be sure to see a qualified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon for the best results. 

Jerold Olson, MD
Tucson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a rhinoplasty? I'm 23 currently. Should I wait for it or get it done as soon as possible?

If you are unhappy with the look of your nose, you think that you would be much happier after a rhinoplasty operation; if you had an accident and the shape of your nose got worsened after this accident; then you can be a good candidate for rhinoplasty operation. It is a well-known fact that individuals with feeling themselves beautiful have higher self-esteem. Therefore; if the look or functionality of your nose bothers you, you can get benefit from a rhinoplasty operation.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty timing...

There is no age requirement for rhinoplasty other than being at least 15. Whether or not to do it now depends totally on you. First of all, you need to find a surgeon that is very experienced in rhinoplasty, have a consultation, and see how you feel about him/her. If surgery is something you really want and you feel comfortable with the surgeon, then you will probably be happy doing it now. If the nose doesn't bother you that much or you can't find a surgeon you are comfortable with, it is certainly OK to wait a while.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

No one needs a rhinoplasty. It's more about do you want a rhinoplasty?

Rhinoplasty is a cosmetic operation. Even though some people think they "need" one, its completely elective. Most patients who do get rhinoplasty are actually happy with their result and glad they did surgery. You might want to visit a rhinoplasty expert to discuss your options. I like computer imaging including 3-D Vectra to demonstrate potential results. Then you can make a more educated decision.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from decreasing the width of your alar base.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

"Need for rhinoplasty'

Rhinoplasty surgery is a very personal choice.  Your need is based on what your desires are.  I would suggest sitting with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and discussing what outcome you would like to see after having rhinoplasty surgery and more importantly, whether or not that outcome can be achieved.  If you like what you have seen and discussed during your consultation then you are certainly old enough to have rhinoplasty surgery at any time.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need a Rhinoplasty?

Nobody needs a rhinoplasty but the surgery will decrease the size of your nose and make it more feminine and proportional to your surrounding fine facial features if the work is done by an experienced rhinoplasty specialist. There is no urgency to having the surgery as soon as possible or an advantage to waiting; carefully select a surgeon who shows you excellent results in patients who had a nose like yours.

Rhinoplasty

Thanks for your question and photos. The decision to have a cosmetic procedure is a personal choice. If you decide to go ahead, the sooner you do it the longer you have the benefit of the improved appearance. You just have to be ready mentally, financially etc. good luck. 

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for the photos and question and no one Needs a Cosmetic rhinoplasty - it is a question of whether surgery would address cosmetic concerns you have about your nose and a consultation would answer those questions

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD