Why did a hard, painful lump appear on my chest and pain on my right side post gyno surgery after throwing a ball to my dog?

I had gyno surgery 7 days ago and my healing process has been going really well so far. I threw a ball to my dog last night and instantly felt pain then a hard lump appeared by my right nipple and my right side of my chest has been in a lot of pain since then. Did i do something to strenuous and damaged something? Do i need to see my surgeon? I have been wearing a compression garment the whole time and haven't had this hard lump before. Please help as it's rather painful.

Hard Lump After Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi anonhap,

Thanks for the post. At 1 week you are very early in the healing process and the hard lump you are feeling can be just a normal part of the healing process. The fact that you noticed it after throwing a ball may be just a coincidence. The one thing I would have evaluated is whether you developed a fluid collection or hematoma which can sometimes cause a fullness under the nipple. I recommend bringing your concerns up with your plastic surgeon, especially if the problem is still ongoing.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Hard Lump

It is possible the movement of throwing a ball just 7 days post-surgery aggravated something internally. The lump may be a collection of fluid and should go away, however you should see your surgeon to be evaluated. 

Painful Lumps After Gyno Surgery

As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.