I'm a guy, I'm 24 yrs. old. I have a question, I think i have a gynecomastia. How to cure this, is it benign? (photos)

Doctor Answers 17

I think i have a gynecomastia

Thank you for your question. An in person consultation will be beneficial. Excision of the gland is the most effective way to treat gynecomastia.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 293 reviews

Is it benign?

Gynecomastia is benign hypertrophy of male breast tissue. You will need surgery to remove glandular tissue and fat. 


Carlos Burnett, MD, FACS
Westfield Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews


Thanks for your question.  From your picture, I think you would do well with both liposuction and excision of the excess male breast tissue.  This will be a permanent correction for you and will give you a new outlook on life.  Be sure to choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with this procedure. Good luck on your search.

Anna I. Wooten, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Surgical excision

you would benefit from excision and liposuction of the male breast tissue that I can see from your pictures. Best to go to a board certified plastic surgeon for the best results. I use a small incision around the areola and directly remove the male breast tissue and also liposuction the area as well.   You should do very well.  Good luck!

Andrew T. Cohen, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

Excision of the gland is the most importent part of gynecomastia surgery

Excision of the gland is the most importent part of gynecomastia surgery,therefor the right surgeon with experience with this type of surgery is important.Don't compromise  

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Diagnosing Gynecomastia

The pictures are not the best, but it does appear you do have a mild case of gynecomastia - which is almost always benign - You can certainly visit your primary doctor for an evaluation and peace of mind. If this occurred due to weight gain, it's possible you have fatty gynecomastia which can be improve through diet and exercise. If it is true gynecomastia (breast tissue component), surgery will be necessary to permanently get rid of it. 

Joseph Thomas Cruise, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Addressing Gynecomastia

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. For instance, studies have shown that patients with BMI > 30kg/m sq (placing them in the obese category) have a higher complication rate. Therefore, it is important for patients to be as close as possible to their normal body weight prior to surgery.
 Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

#gynecomastia #maleplasticsurgery #malebreastreduction #liposuction

To accurately diagnosis a true gynecomastia, you would need to be evaluated in person so your board certified plastic surgeon can determine if you have 1) excess skin and breast tissue  2) excess fat 

 or both.

Either way, your condition can be treated. It is a matter of deciding what surgical procedure is the best choice to solve your problem.  

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 41 reviews


It looks like you might have gynecomastia. You should be seen in person to be properly evaluated....

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews


Jen.   Your photos seem to indicate modest gynecomastia treated by liposuction and possibly excision of breast tissue beneath the nipple. It is a fairly straight forward procedure done on out patient basis. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.