Do I need to lose weight before abdominoplasty? (Photo)

I am 42 and have had 3 c sections. I am 5'5 170 lbs. I was told by one doctor a year ago (same weight) I wasn't ready and would need a lot of lipo first,. So I just went for a lipo consult in the city and the surgeon said I was a good candidate for a tummy tuck. I have one booked and three weeks, but am worried my weight might be to high.

Do I need to lose weight before abdominoplasty

Thank you for your question. Difficult to evaluate with only one view of a photo.  An examination would be necessary to answer your question.   If you can lose a little more weight, it would make the tummy tuck result look even better.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Losing Weight Before an Abdominoplasty

Thank you for the question.  It is in your best interest to get as close to your ideal body weight and BMI before a tummy tuck and liposuction.  These procedures are not weight loos resolutions but body contorting options and the best results can be achieved when you are close to your ideal body weight and BMI.  Good luck and make sure you are consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon with an amazing before and after gallery.

Dr. Lane F. Smith

Lane Smith, MD

Do I need to lose weight before abdominoplasty?

I think that weight loss to reduce visceral fat may improve the final result.

Thank for your question!
Liposuction doesn't  works for visceral fat, that fat you have under the muscles, etc. You have to lose weight by diet and/or exercise. Best results can be achieved by doing that. You have a body mass index of 28.35, that is overweight. To get a normal weight you have to lose 9.27 Kg.
Have a nice day!

Yily De Los Santos, MD

Tummy Tuck and Body Weight

Some form of a tummy tuck can be done at just about any weight. But the best tummy tuck results occur when one's weight is more appropriate for their height. If possible, lose as much weight as you can and then have the tummy tuck surgery.

From your photo it appears you carry a significant part of your weight intrabdominally and this cannot be improved by liposuction or abdominoplasty. That means forget the lipo for sure and go ahead with the aTT if you want but the best abdominoplasty results are seen in patients with less visceral fat.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

You certainly can have a tummy tuck at the weight you are presently but I think if you were to lose some weight, you would have a better result. It appears that you have both some fat underneath the skin, which can be treated with liposuction and also some fat below the muscles of the abdomen that is only responsive to losing weight.I think you would have a much better result if you were to lose weight before the tummy tuck.

Julio Garcia, MD

TT

Many surgeons use a body mass index (BMI) of 30 as a threshold for safety and successful outcome.
From the photo posted and the BMI, I suspect you will have improvement with a TT. 

But your outcome would be considerably better if you were able to lose some weight before surgery.  Losing weight after surgery is not as helpful, in that if the loss is considerable you could be left with skin excess and look like you needed another TT. 

All the best. 

Always best to be at an acceptable weight vs height ratio. You need 20 to 30 pounds weight loss than full TT.. 

Based on your photo you do have excess skin which can be removed with a tummy tuck. However tumy tuck results are always better if you can get close to your ideal weight. Fat under the skin prevents optimal skin tightening. Fat inside the body makes the tummy protrude and can only be improved with weight loss.