Do I have tuberous breasts? (Photo)

I'm 18 and i've noticed they've looked like this for as long as I can remember. I would like to eventually get surgery to correct them someday but I was just curious if I have tuberous breasts? i notice when they're erect they kind of tighten and don't loo as puffy.

Do I have tuberous breasts?

You do appear to have a mild case of tuberous breasts. Please consult with an expeienced board certified plastic surgeon. 

Regards, 

Tuberous breasts?

Your photos suggest that you have a mild tuberous breast deformity.  Be sure to discuss your treatment options with a board certified plastic surgeon.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breats

You do have a mild form of tuberous breast deformity.  A periareolar reduction (Benelli) with a small implant should be a nice procedure of your interested in larger volume.  

The right size for you

Any women desiring breast augmentation surgery is a candidate as long as there are no health problems present which would preclude her from having surgery. If the desired goal is to enhance or restore size and shape or to improve asymmetry, breast augmentation is a viable option. Breast augmentation can improve a body image, self-esteem, self-concept, and quality of life.
Ideal Candidates for Breast Augmentation
  • Desire larger, shapelier breasts.
  • Moderate degree of breast sag and smaller breasts, whose problem can be solved by enlargement.
  • One breast that is noticeably smaller or is positioned differently than the other (asymmetry).
  • Uneven chest wall or rib cage.
  • Women requiring breast reconstruction following a mastectomy.
  • Restore breast volume or shape following pregnancy, breast feeding and/or weight loss.

Tuberous breast

I see this question often. The condition you're asking about is known as tuberous breast or tubular breast deformity. The best way for me to describe this is that it is not an "all or nothing " phenomenon. In other words, if not as if the patient either "has it" or "does not ". This is because "tuberous breast "is a spectrum of characteristics that often go together. They include:
#1 large, puffy nipple/areolas. This is known as areolar or nipple herniation.
#2 small breasts lacking much tissue
#3 small base diameter or "footprint" of the breast, also known as "constriction". This makes the breast shape itself appeared too small for the chest it is on
#4 a high-riding or absent breast fold, which is the defining crease at the base of your breast.
The "classic tuberous breast deformity" involves all four deformities together to a significant degree. However, some women have only two or three of the characteristics. Other women have all four of the characteristics but to a very slight degree. So, it is less a "black-and-white " issue, rather many shades of gray. The surgical solution depends upon the specific constellation of symptoms that a given patient has.
In your case, you have some characteristics of this deformity, and the good news is, that a well performed surgery can improve your complaints significantly.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Constricted breasts

From your photos it appears that you have a mild degree of constricted breasts. When you are ready for surgery multiple different implant and surgical options can be utilized to give you an improved result.  
Good luck

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast

Tuberous breast or constricted breast are often used interchangeably to describe a breast that has a tight lower pole and fold causing it to be tubular in appearance.  You do seem to have a mild form of this deformity.  I would recommend form stable implants should you choose to have breast augmentation.

Tuberous breast?

The word tuber is derived from Greek meaning "lump, bump or swelling".  A tuber is an enlarged underground structure for many plant species that is used to store nutrients for the plant, think potato or yam.  A tuberous breast therefore should resemble a potato?!?  Well, kinda sorta, there is no one breast shape that is tuberous and one that is not, but here is what most tuberous breasts consists of anatomically:

1. High inframammary crease (short distance between the nipple and the bottom crease of the breast)
  2. Areola size out of proportion the remainder of the breast (too big)
  3. Herniation of breast tissue into the nipple/areolar complex
  4. Cylindrical shape to the breast (not round or tear drop shape)
Based on the photographs presented, I would consider this a mild tuberous deformity.  Fortunately, the procedure to fix the shape and size is straight forward with excellent results.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast enhancement procedures to  assure yourself of the best possible results.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mild tuberous issue

You have a mild tuberous issue with some lack of soft tissue in the lower pole and a classic looking areola of mild tuberosity.

Mildly Tuberous Breasts

Sydneymann7777:

From the photos you provided it appears as though you have a very mild form of tuberous breasts.  The bases of your breasts are constricted, meaning the distance from the nipple to the fold is short, and you have some very mild herniation of breast tissue beneath the areolae.  I believe you can obtain an excellent result without any sort of mastopexy but rather a breast augmentation through an areolar incision with internal releasing of the constricting bands within your breasts.  

I would recommend a "formed stable" or anatomically shaped implant rather than a round in your case.  A round implant will conform to whatever shape the forces of the breast place on it, while a formed stable implant will force the breast into the shape of the implant.  This will ultimately provide you with more fulness in the lower pole of the breast and release the constriction to some extent.

Best of luck to you on this!

G. Robert Meger MD

G. Robert Meger, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon