Can someone that smokes get Liposuction, Tummy Tuck, Breast Lift, and Brazilian Butt Lift done?

How long would they have to stop smoking before surgery and also is it safe for a smoker to do these procedures ... Lip, tummy tuck, breast lift and bbl or do they have to do it separate .. Cost .... Thanks

MOMMY MAKEOVER AND SMOKING

Smokers have a much higher risk of wound healing complications following surgery.  Incisions can take longer to heal which can lead to infection and the risk of skin or fat necrosis increases.  A patient that smokes and has a breast lift or mastopexy also has an increased risk of nipple loss due to a decrease in blood flow.  I request my patient’s stop smoking for 2 weeks before surgery and 2 weeks after surgery.  If you are a healthy risk for anesthesia it is possible to have multiple procedures at one time.  However, without a physical examination it is difficult to say whether or not you would be able to have all of the procedures you listed at one time.  Multiple procedures means more time under anesthesia which increases the risks of anesthesia related complications.  I recommend finding a board certified plastic surgeon to confirm that you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck, breast lift, and BBL.

Be well and good luck!

@norrisplastic

Mommy makeover in smokers

Smokers have an increased risk of complication with wound healing after both tummy tucks and breast lifts.  You should stop smoking at least two weeks before surgery and no smoking until your surgeon feels it won't have a detrimental effect on your healing.  Even more important, no nicotine patch or gum.  They can do more damage than smoking.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Can someone that smokes get liposuction, tummy tuck, breast lift, and Brazilian Butt Lift done?

Hello! Thank you for your question! The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure, but especially in such a procedure as a mastopexy where the viability of the nipple-areolar complex is obviously important. Since the vascularity to the area is already tenuous since it will be raised by cutting around the area, maximizing blood flow to the tissue is critical.

Typically, we recommend at least 6 weeks of smoking cessation prior to and at least 6 weeks after any surgical procedure. The longer, the better. Nicotine always increases the risk for infection, nipple necrosis, poor scarring, and wound complications, as well as other health consequences.  The anesthesia risk is greater with general anesthesia as well as pulmonary issues/lung infections postoperatively.  I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

You should stop smoking 4 weeks prior to surgery and 4 weeks after surgery. Best wishes. Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Hey there,

Thanks for your question! Yes, you can have all these procedures done, but the complications are higher. There will be a higher chance of complications such as necrosis and healing problems. I recommend that all patients who are smokers refrain from smoking at least 4 weeks before and after surgery to minimize the chance of complications.
Dr. Newall

German Newall, MD

Smoking and a mommy make-over

Thank you for your mommy make-over and BBL question/
  • smokers are at higher risk of complications,
  • stop smoking 1 month before until 1 month after surgery, minimum,
  • a breast lift and tummy tuck with liposuction are often done together, the liposuction/BBL is best done separately. Best wishes.

How long before surgery should I stop smoking?

Studies have shown that smokers have up to a 50% complication rate after a tummy tuck!   That is not only a waste of time and money for you but a 50% guarantee of a suboptimal result.  Complications happen in non smokers as well but at a much lower rate.  I ask my smokers that are undergoing any procedure that tightens skin, tummy tuck, breast lift, etc., to stop smoking for at least 4 weeks before and 4 weeks after surgery.  If you choose to cheat, you only hurt yourself.   In the case of fat grafting, I would agree that the longer you keep from smoking afterwards, the higher percentage of fat "take".  So I would advise not smoking for 6-12 weeks after fat grafting.  Honestly, at that point why not just stop all together?   Best of luck.  

Melinda Haws, MD

Smoking and plastic surgery

In most cosmetic procedures, I ask for patients to refrain from smoking at least 4 weeks prior and 4 weeks after surgery.  In the case of a BBL with fat transfer, I would ask you to refrain from smoking for at least 6-8 weeks after surgery due to the need of the transferred fat cells to survive.  Smoking really affects the blood flow in your body and can significantly affect your results.  Also, that is a lot of surgery to do at one time and it may be best do consider separating the procedures.

Naveen Setty, MD

Smoker breast lift, liposuction, tummy tuck and BBL too much?...

Hi and thanks for your question. I am not in the camp that advocate doing both (tummy tuck and BBL) at the same time. Think about it, When fat is transferred to the buttocks, the fat cells need all of the oxygen possible in order to survive. Fat transfers (BBL) require a rich oxygen environment in order to attempt the highest rate of surviavl of the fat cells. We recommend that our patients do not place any significant pressure on their butts for 4-6 weeks following the BBL.

if you are a smoker and fail to stop prior then you are at a much higher risk of developing pulmonary and wound healing complications. I practice in Miami, Florida the capital of cosmetic surgery in this half of the country. In Florida there is a specific statute written in the law that limits the amount of fat obtained through liposuction to 1000 cc when performed with other procedures. This amount is hardly enough to give you an adequate BBL.

If you have a Tummy tuck, breast lift and BBL done at the same time, how are you going to avoid lying on your back, face up when the tummy tuck prevents you from lying face down? I recommend that the BBL be done first to utilize the abdominal fat which would otherwise be discarded with the tummy tuck. After a minimum of three months , the patient is brought back and the TT is performed.

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in the procedures you are seeking. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. We accomodate patinets from as far away as California. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Give yourself the highest percentage of a sucssesful operation. Good luck............Dr PG

Smoking and Surgery

Smoking may increase a chance of surgical complications and affect your #healing and the end result of your surgery. It's best to call your plastic #surgeon to better clarify. It's important to implement healthy lifestyle choices to not only prolong your surgical results, but most importantly, to reduce your risk of illness and disease which will impact your health. If you find it difficult to quit #smoking, speak to your physician who can provide information and programs that are properly designed to help you quit.