I'm 32 yrs old, 5'8, 207 lbs. Am I a Good Candidate for a Mommy Makeover? (photo)

I am a 32 year old mother of 5 (3 single births and a set of twins. I am 5'8" 207 lbs. I have tried diet and exercise only to lose and gain the same 10-15 lbs. I know it works because I have the energy and feel my pants loosen but I can't see any real changes. I am at my wits end. Also I am considering breast augmentation nothing too big just a subtle change in size and perkiness. Lastly I am hoping to get rid of these horrid love handles. Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

A candidate in progress for mommy makeover.

Thanks for your questions and your photographs. 

It's clear from the photographs that when the time is appropriate for you you'll be an excellent candidate for multiple procedures that are part of mommy makeover.  The current photographs show a person who will likely be a good candidate for tummy tuck, some liposuction, and breast enhancement whether it be with breast implants or breast lift or both.

You seem to be struggling with your weight loss, but I would recommend that you continue it until you achieve your goal.  You always want to be as healthy as you can reasonably be before you undergo cosmetic plasticsurgery.  It may be discouraging at times because as you continue to lose weight the areas of skin that concern you will actually get looser.

It is not always realistic for patient to become rail thin, but it is always best to be at what you consider a comfortable and healthy weight that you can maintain without starving yourself.

It is best to do this before your surgery.  Surgery is always safer on more slender individuals.  It is also important though that you reach a point of dietary maintenance before your surgery.  If you do not take into enough calories prior to your surgery you may have some difficulties healing.

I generally recommend that my patients consider surgery when they are within about 10 pounds of their goals.  If you have a beautiful tummy tuck and then you lose another 50 pounds you may actually need a second beautiful tummy tuck.  More slender patients tend to see a more long lasting result when the abdominal muscles are tightened.

Stay the course, continue with your diet and exercise and even seek medical guidance if you need help or evaluation for endocrine problems.  Your perseverance will pay off in the end when you have a safer and healthier surgery.

Best wishes on your continued success.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover candidates

It appears as though you're an excellent candidate for a mommy makeover.  You'll most likely need a breast lift with implants and a full tummy tuck to help regain your figure.

Am I a Good Candidate for a Mommy Makeover?

Well, many Mommy Makeovers to include the procedures you describe, that of a breast augmentation, tummy tuck and liposuction. One should not use surgery as a method to lose weight though. From what I can see in your photos, liposuction could be done on your love handles, but there might be a little loose skin once healed. I think a breast augmentation could also be done, but your breasts are a little saggy already so you would be a little larger but still saggy. As to your abdomen, a tummy tuck performed with the apparent amount of intra-abdominal fat that you have will likely give some improvement but not a flat appearance. You need to weigh those limitations out with the costs and decide. Losing 25-50 pound would make a huge difference in what could be done and your eventual appearance after surgery.

Julio Garcia, MD

Mommy Makeover

Hi there-

It looks like you may be a great candidate for a Mommy Makeover, but the details and timing would depend a lot (in your case) on your in-person examination.

Alternatives to tummy tuck for you would include lower body lift and the possibility that you would be better off waiting to have the tummy tuck until after you lost some weight- the point is that without examining you it would be impossible to say, because sometimes in mothers the way things look in a photo is not how they feel on exam.

Your best bet is to find a surgeon you like and feel you can trust first, and discuss your goals and options with them after a careful examination. Make sure they are Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery, and that you prioritize appropriately (education, training, experience, skill, talent, and a history of ethical behavior are all more important to your safety and happiness than the price they give you or their willingness to say what you want to hear...)

Best of luck.

Mommy makeover?

Your belly wall is really stretched out from your pregnancies. You have several folds along your sides and back. Not all of these will be able to be smoothed out at once. When you get your muscles tightened it is going to feel very tight and actually may make it difficult to take a deep breath. In order to help "get ready" for your tummy tuck I would suggest wearing a true corset for about 4-6 weeks before surgery, tightening it a little each day. You will do best with a circumferential tummy tuck. i would concentrate more on your tummy, waist and back at one time and leave your breasts for another day. Just my opinion.

Mommy Makeover Candidate?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Yes, at some point you will be an excellent candidate for mommy makeover surgery. You may benefit from breast augmentation/lifting, tummy tuck ( extended)  as well as back and flank liposuction surgery.

As you have mentioned, the hard part is getting down to your long-term stable weight prior to surgery. You may need to be seen by an internist to rule out medical reasons ( for example, hypothyroidism)  that you are not able to lose weight.  getting professional help from personal trainers and/or nutritionists may also prove helpful.

I would suggest that you see well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons and set a goal date for surgery  approximately 6 months from now;  this may motivate you to do what is necessary to prepare for the procedure.

Mommy Makeover

The closer you are to your ideal body weight the better the results of surgery will be and the longer lasting. Also most importat the closer to your ideal body weight you are the safer the surgery and less complications.

You are a good candidate for tummy tuck, liposuction flanks and back, as well as the lateral chest . As for the breast, you may need a breast lift and breast implant.

Candidate for mommy makeover

Thanks for the photos. It appear that you have excess weight in your abdomen. Additional weight loss will benefit you. I know its hard to loose weight. Please consider consulting a board certified physician who has a weight loss program to assist you in your journey. When you reach your weight loss goal, you will be a great candidate for both breast lift and tummy tuck. Liposuction of your back will help with the back problem area.

The best candidates for Mommy makeover are women who:

• are in good health.
  • are close to their ideal weight.
  • have distinct areas of localized fats.
  • have realistic expectations

Stanley Okoro, MD

Mommy Makeover Candidate

I normally recommend my patients are as close to their "normal" weight as possible, with a low BMI, before pursuing a #tummytuck surgery in order to obtain the best possible #results with the fewest possible complications.  I would recommend you continue your #exercise routine to try to get closer to your goal weight.
At that time, you will be a perfect candidate for a full #abdominoplasty and #breast procedure.

Maintain a stable weight for 3 months-- hopefully close to your goal weight...

There’s no question that being close to your ideal body weight improves the results from tummy tuck and mommy makeover surgery.  It also decreases the potential for complications with this type of surgical procedure.  For these reasons, we prefer that patients be within 10% of their ideal body weight at the time of surgery.             Unfortunately, reaching an ideal weight is easier said than done.  The vast majority of patients are unsuccessful at losing this additional weight.  It’s also important to realize that even when patients are overweight, they can potentially benefit from mommy makeover surgery.  We therefore evaluate every patient on an individual basis.             We encourage patients to lose weight prior to surgery and prefer that their weight be stable for at least three months.  We realize that some patients will have difficulty losing weight.  We therefore encourage patients to be in a supervised weight loss program.  Even with this help, some patients will be unsuccessful in their effort to lose weight.  Even without weight loss, many of these patients will still potentially benefit from mommy makeover surgery.             It’s important to realize that weight loss following mommy makeover surgery can affect the final result.  This could even result in the need for revisional surgery.  For these reasons, it’s important to thoroughly discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon.