Am I a Good Candidate for Coolsculpting? (photo)

The doctor I went to for (tickle) lipo on my flanks/lower back told me he didn't think I had enough fat to remove on my lower abs.

Determination of candidacy for coolSculpting fat reduction

If you are examined and it is determined that the muscle of the abdominal wall is bowing forward and you don't have much fat to remove, then you shouldn't undergo CoolSculpting, just as liposuction would not be indicated. Tummy tucks can provide flatter abdomens by tightening the muscle. If however, there are more than 2 centimeters (close to 2/3 of an inch) of fat palpated between two fingers, then CoolSculpting can be done.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting on abdomen, options?

Thank you for the photos.  It looks like you may be a good candidate for CoolSculpting.  CoolSculpting has FDA approval for fat reduction since 2010. CoolSculpting freezes the fat cells. Fat cells are more susceptible to damage by freezing than the other cells, (nerve, vessel, bone, etc.), around them. The fat cells die via a process called apoptosis, (programmed cell death). The number of fat cells are therefore reduced. This happens over a period of time, so the body is not overwhelmed with dead fat cells. The body will take these cells up, process them and excrete them, just as any other cell. The remnants are filtered through the liver, and then excreted eventually via stool.  We have had good experience with the skin snapping back.  Each individual is different.  We usually see about a 25% reduction with CoolSculpting.  Liposuction gives more dramatic results, but is more invasive.  See an experienced CoolSculpting practice, they will determine if you are a candidate.  Moreover, would also consider seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, who can give advice on both CoolSculpting and Liposuction.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting Candidates

Thank you for your question. It looks like you could be a good candidate for Coolsculpting. I think you would really like the results. However, it is best to get a physical examination. People who have extra fat that they can't get rid of with exercise tend to benefit from Coolsculpting. It is important that you lead a healthy lifestyle to maintain great results. Best of luck! Double board certified 
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for Coolsculpting

The photograph suggests that you may be a candidate for coolsculpting. Consult in person with a board certified physician who can provide surgical and coolsculpting options to determine which procedure (if any) is best for you. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

A Good Candidate For CoolSculpting

You can find a top CoolSculpting provider in your area by going to the CoolSculpting website.  A personal and thorough consultation is necessary to determine if this is a good treatment for you.  From your photo it appears that you have pinchable fat in the lower abdomen and you  may be a candidate for CoolSculpting fat reduction.  There are many other factors in choosing a CoolSculpting candidate and you should be assessed by a trusted CoolSculpting provider.

Many patients require multiple treatments to achieve desired results.  This may be multiple applications in different areas on the body or multiple applications on one specific area.  At my practice, we offer free CoolSculpting through Instant Rebates.  Patients enjoy one free session with each session purchased.  

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Good Coolsculpting Candidate

For the most accurate answer, an in person consultation is always best but based on your photos, you appear to be  a good candidate for Coolsculpting.  It's impossible to judge from your photos however, how many applicators/cycles would be needed to achieve optimal results. Your best and most accurate answer will really come from a face to face consultation. 

Grant Stevens, MD

Good Candidate for Coolsculpting?

Thank you for your question and photo.

In person examination is always best but from the photos, it does look like you would be a good candidate for the Coolsculpting procedure.  Patients are loving the results and the fact that there is no down time.

CoolSculpting right for you?

It's always best to schedule a consultation with the physician you choose, but from your photos, you do look like a good candidate for CoolSculpting.  Your provider should assess an appropriate treatment plan for you that may include multiple treatments depending on the area of concern. 

Gregory Nikolaidis, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting works

Hello, the best way to know for sure is to have a consult, but from what I can see from your photo Coolsculpting looks like it would work for you. During our consult we can actually test the different applicators and confirm which one is going to give you the best draw. With Coolsculpting having good tissue draw is critical to the success of the treatment, so wherever you go for a consult make sure they offer all of the applicators available. There are four applicators available, CoolMax, CoolCore, CoolCurve+, and CoolFit.

Best of luck.

Sarah A. Mess, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for CoolSculpting?

Photo's can always be deceiving, but it looks like you are!  CoolSculpting does not remove skin, and it only kills the fat cells in the area that is treated. Your skin looks like it has good elasticity, and the area that you are grabbing can certainly be made smaller. I have treated many patients like you in my practice and they have been extremely happy!

I strongly recommend you find a reputable Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area that is doing CoolSculpting and get their opinion. 

Jennifer Harrington MD