Am I a Good Candidate for Abdominal and Thigh Liposuction?

I'm 43 years old with a fairly good skin tone. I'm 5"7, 137 lbs. I exercise 5 days a week and follow a healthy diet. No matter how much weight I lose, i still have fat in my abdomen and thighs. I'm considering liposuction on these areas but not sure if i'm a good candidate especially that I have cellulite in the thighs.

Just who is a good candidate for liposuction?

From what you are saying it sounds like you may be a good candidate for Liposuction. Your best bet from here is to schedule a consultation with a Plastic Surgeon in your area so they can examine you and look at your medical history.  You can find Board Certified plastic surgeons in your area by going to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons webpage. (Find.plasticsurgery.org). 

Liposuction is the second most popular cosmetic surgery procedure in the United States. In 2015 over 220,000 liposuction procedures were performed. This is up 5% from 2014.

Liposuction allows the surgeon to reshape areas of the body that have excess fat deposits. The procedure improves the body's contours.

Who is a good candidate for liposuction?

Liposuction is for patients who are at or near their ideal weight.  These patients have areas of their body where stubborn fat pockets remain despite following healthy diet and exercise routine. It is not a solution to obesity or a weight loss procedure. Common areas treated are the abdomen, inner and or outer thighs, arms, lower and or upper back, inside knees, or even the face and neck.

The ideal candidate will also be:

-Physically fit

-In good health

-No more than 25 lbs overweight

-Have realistic expectations

Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for Liposuction?

Any one or combination of the following conditions may indicate that you are a good candidate for liposuction surgery:

• Areas of fat deposits that are out of proportion with the rest of your body and do not go away with diet and exercise – so called “diet resistant fat.’
  • Areas with minimal amounts of excess skin (liposuction removes fat not skin) and good skin elasticity.

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Non Invasive Fat and Cellulite Reduction Options to Liposuction

I would recommend you consider non surgical fat reduction such as #Vanquish, #Ultrashape or CoolSculpt in addition to considering liposuction.

You are a candidate for liposuction if you have excessive subcutaneous fat, which is resistant to diet and exercise. If you wish to change the contours of your body. Commonly involved areas are the anterior part of the neck (under the chin), upper arms and armpits, male chest/breasts, trunk abdomen, waist, hips, thighs, inner knees, calves, and ankles.
Most patients are near normal weight and desire permanent contour changes. Patients with average weight, localized fat collections, and healthy elastic skin are the best candidates for liposuction. You seem to be a great candidate for liposuction of the inner thighs. Just make sure that you seek out a professional board-certified plastic surgeon to prevent any irregularities from forming while healing. I would recommend #Velashape for your cellulite reduction

CANDIDATE FOR LIPO

Your areas of concern – the abdomen and thighs – are known to have stubborn deposits of fat that just won’t go away with diet and exercise.  In these cases, liposuction can be used to remove the fat in the abdomen and thighs.  With your BMI and your active and healthy lifestyle it sounds like you would be a candidate for liposuction.  My recommendation is to make sure that you are done losing weight before having liposuction.  Weight fluctuations after the procedure could alter your result.  Be sure to research board certified plastic surgeons in your area.  Then schedule a consultation for a thorough exam to confirm that you are in fact a good candidate.

Be well and good luck!
@norrisplastic

By your measurements it appears you are at a good body weight, which is something we look for in liposuction candidates. Having said that, if you have cellulite on your thighs, liposuction will not help that and can actually make it look worse in some people if their skin has lost some of its elasticity. As to your abdomen, it will depend on whether the fat is under the skin where liposuction will work or intra-abdominal. An in person examination needs to be done to tell you more.

Julio Garcia, MD

Liposuction for the abdomen and thigh?

It is impossible, with photos, to say whether you would be a better candidate for liposuction or a candidate for tummy tuck. Best see a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation.  Best of luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

From what you are saying, you are probably a good candidate for Liposuction.

I recommend that you seek consultation with an experience and well respected liposuction surgeon in you community.  It sounds like you are probably a good candidate.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Thigh cellulite

It sounds like you are a good candidate in that you are not overweight and want the surgery to recontour the abdomen and thighs. However you will need a face to face examination to know for sure and you need to realize that liposuction does not get rid of cellulite. In some cases it can make the cellulite look worse.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Liposuction may be a treatment for abdomen and thighs

At minimum, some photos would allow for better assessment of your situation. Of course, there is no substitute for an examination and consultation. If you indeed have localized fat and good skin tone, liposuction may help address your situation.

Seek one or more consultations from board certified plastic surgeons.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Liposuction

Whether or not a patient is a good candidate for liposuction will have to be determined by your plastic surgeon, after a formal consultation and examination. There are a lot of variable involve in the decision making, such as your weight, height, body mass index, co-morbid conditions, etc. Therefore, it is important to understand fully what is involved. As for cellulite, unfortunately, liposuction surgery will not get rid of cellulite. Liposuction surgery may even make the cellulite worse. I highly recommend that you have a good consultation with your plastic surgeon to be well informed before jumping into doing liposuction, thinking that you will have your fat removed and cellulite corrected.

Kim-Chi Vu, MD