Am I a Candidate for the Benelli Breast Lift? (photo)

i'm 23 years old at 5'3, 130 pounds. I use to wear a 32DD until i lost 20 pounds which leaves me at wearing a 34 C now with saggy deflated breast... (i feel like it's loose skin with very little tissue inside). I would like to get augmentation WITHOUT a lift, but im scared of this "double bubble" effect or the ball in a sock look =/.... so i'm considering a benelli lift which will leave less scarring... is this even possible for me? Also sorry the pictures are side ways..

Bengali Breast Lift

From your photos and description you may be a candidate for this procedure. The Benelli lift as performed by most surgeons is just the donut lift, removing a donut shaped piece of areola and skin then using a #Pursestring or double purse-string suture to tighten the skin. A true Benelli actually will expose much of the breast through this incision and then the breast itself is shaped and lifted with sutures. 

I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring. However, you may discuss with your determined PS which procedure would provide the best results.

Breast Lift

A Benelli lift is associated with only scars around the areola. I understand that you may want the least scars as possible, however you need to discuss with your surgeon what is the result that you seek, if you want a maximally lifted and a projected breast, then that shape  will be better achieved with a lollipop lift; where there will be scars around the areola and a vertical scar extending from the lower areola down the lower breast. Have a  consultation with your surgeon and let him know exactly the shape of breast that you are looking for and your tolerance for scars, and based on that take the time to decide on the type of lift which is best for you. Good luck.

Norman Morrison MD

Determining Best Breast Lift type

The key to success lies in letting you surgeon know specifically what you would like to look like following the surgery. For example, how perky do you want to be, what shape do you want to have, etc.? However from your description it would appear that a lollipop type lift would be best for you rather than a periareolar lift like the Benelli procedure. Here is a rule of thumb that works for most patients. If you nipple is above your lower breast crease then often a periareolar lift will be sufficient for most patients. If your nipple is at or below your crease then a vertical lift (lollipop lift), inverted T or anchor pattern may be required.

The Lollipop incision for Grade 3 or 4 ptosis (areolar near or below your breast crease) works best in my hands and the use of a Lollipop technique can lift your breast to the perkiness you desire. However, other plastic surgeons are more comfortable with an inverted T or Anchor Pattern technique.The donut lift does tend to both flatten and have scars widened as you are removing skin around the areola which causes tension in that single area causing it to "spring' apart over time. With the Lollipop incision the tension is spread out over a greater distance of the lower vertical scar (where the areola once was) causing less tension on the areola and entire closure. The vertical lift tends to cone the breast making it more shapely (conical) and less flat. For a visual take a paper circle, cut out a small wedge on the bottom and bring the edges together to see this effect. In general I would pick the best Surgeon and explain fully what you want to achieve rather than the technique. Always choose a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Am I a Candidate for the Benelli Breast Lift?

When you lift your arms you are distorting the shape of your breasts and making them look less saggy or "ptotic" than they naturally are. Since even in your photo you look like you are probably not a candidate for a Benelli lift, which is only useful in patients with VERY mild sagging, I would assume that accurate measurements with your arms down would reveal that you are definitely not a candidate for this very weak lift. Get a good lift, even if it means a vertical scar, or you will not be happy with your results.

Breast lift alone?

So sorry but you have a great amount of ptosis (droop) and you would not be a good candidate for a Benelli mastopexy alone.  In my opinion you would need a more aggressive breast uplift.  Best of luck.

ARMS AT SIDE byVillar

Arms should be at sides when taking pictures.  Raised arms distort the breast.  You may well be a candidate for a Binelli lift but should have permanent sutures around the areolae to keep them from stretching out again and loosing their natural texture.

Best wishes. Knowledge is power.  Luis F. Villar MD FACS

Luis Villar, MD, FACS

An augmentation without a lift would be a mistake--chances are the appearance would be one of your own breast tissue draping off the implants. 

With your arms up in the air you are simulating a lift. With arms at your side the nipples and areolas will appear even lower. I feel you are not a great candidate for a Benelli type lift, and should consider a vertical lift.

But none of these decisions should be made on photos alone--rather in the setting of a consultation. When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Do the implant first with possible fat grafts to improve inferior poles = Composite augmentation of Del Vecchio (Boston). Than if yiou need a lift do it 4 months later under local. 

Benelli Breast Lift

Thank you for the question. Yes, it might be possible to do a Benelli Breast Lift with a Breast Augmentation. You would need to be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon to determine the procedure correct for you.

You are a candidate for a circum-areolar breast lift. This could be done with or without implants. I would prefer sub-fascial  placement 

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon