Am I a Candidate for a Mommy Makeover Even Though I've Never Had Kids? (photo)

I am 23 years old, and have lost roughly 65lbs. However, I am still no where near happy with the way my body looks. I've been doing research, and it looks like the procedures that are often included in a 'Mommy Makeover' may be my best bet. Even though I am still young, and have not had any children, my breasts hang and I feel that a breast lift may be a good idea, but I do not have a need for any sort of implant. Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck & thigh and arm lipo?

A "Mommy Makeover" But Not a Mommy

It's very possible to combine the procedures included in a Mommy Makeover into one surgery regardless of you had children or not. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  

In fact, #combining these procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and your recovery time.  
Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Mommy Makeover After Weight Loss in Melbourne, Florida

The procedures often referred to as a Mommy Makeover are the same procedures often beneficial to people who have lost a lot of weight. These procedures can include breast surgery, including breast augmentation, breast lift or mastopexy and breast reduction often combined with abdominoplasty or tummy tuck, as well as liposuction and other body contouring procedures, such as thigh lifts, arm lifts, etc. The best step is to consult with your board-certified plastic surgeon in order to determine which of these procedures may be most appropriate for your individual situation. Best wishes to you!

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for a mommy makeover even though I've never had kids?

Hello! Thank you for your question! The mommy makeover - what plastic surgeons think of as a tummy tuck with breast augmentation +/- breast lift - is a very popular procedure that can produce excellent results! Given your photos and goals/desires, you appear to be an ideal candidate for this procedure. Pregnancy/age/weight loss all play big roles in the laxity and normal aging cascade seen. The procedure has become very popular in those women looking to rejuvenate their belly and breasts after completing such events as you describe. The abdominoplasty will contour your belly, remove loose tissue as well as lower the position, and plicate your abdominal wall to youthful tightness. If you are content with your current size, the breast lift will serve to raise your nipple-areolar complex, give you a more perky/uplifted appearance, and give you more youthful/fuller breasts.  An implant would give size, shape, and fullness. 

It typically takes 5-6 hours of operative time. These procedures may be safely combined at one setting, given you are healthy and without significant medical comorbdities. I would consult with a plastic surgeon who would examine you and discuss the various options and assist you to decide if you wish to undergo all of the procedures at once or at smaller staged procedures. An examination of the amount of work to do with each will also make the decision. There would obviously be a cost saving and recovery benefit for a one-stage procedure. However, your safety should not be sacrificed for these reasons.

Thank you for your question! Hope that his helps and best wishes for a superb result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Mommy makeover following weight loss

Mommy makeover is a cute term that describes the common cluster of procedures that mothers have following pregnancies.  The same procedures are often helpful following substantial weight loss.

David Stoker, MD

Motherhood Not Necessary for “Mommy Makeover

The term “mommy makeover” is simply the name given to a series of procedures (usually a tummy tuck, liposuction, breast lift, augmentation, and/or reduction) intended to rejuvenate the female body. It is definitely not a requirement for you to have had children to consider a mommy makeover, and many patients opt in for the cosmetic treatment after losing a substantial amount of weight or simply looking to reinvigorate their appearance. As long as you are in good physical health, have time to dedicate to a proper recovery, and understand the implications of surgery, you may be a good candidate for a mommy makeover. I advise you to consult with at least two board certified surgeons in your area to evaluate your candidacy in person and to be given the opportunity to have your questions and concerns addressed on an individual basis.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Body Contouring After Weight Loss

Obesity has become a common medical problem worldwide, resulting in secondary disease processes such as diabetes, heart disease and sleep apnea. Fortunately, with the use of diet and exercise--and in more significant cases, gastric bypass surgery--many patients have lost weight and overcome these adverse sequelae. Nonetheless, despite the health changes that come with weight loss, there are residual physical deformities that can only be improved with body contouring surgery.

Physical changes following massive weight loss can be observed throughout the body, from jowling in the lower face, to fullness and laxity of the inner thighs and hanging skin of the lower abdomen. While several areas can be treated with body contouring simultaneously, the most common combinations involve a total upper body lift (breast lift & arm lift) or a total lower body lift (tummy tuck, buttock lift & thigh lift). Younger patients may benefit more from liposuction than older patients, owing to greater skin elasticity and fewer stretch marks (striae). One possible treatment would be liposuction of the arms and thighs, followed by breast lift (mastopexy) and tummy tuck (abdominoplasty).

Prior to embarking on a surgical path, a good rule of thumb is that the patient maintain a stable weight for at least 3 months, and have a BMI close to 30. If these tenets are not observed, the complication rates are higher, and the results are less optimal. In addition to a higher likelihood of surgical revisions, kidney dysfunction and blood clots in the leg (deep vein thrombosis) may occur.

Each patient should prioritize their "trouble areas" to help guide the surgical timing and treatment. The best course of action is the seek consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon once a stable and healthy weight has been attained.

Can I have a mommy makeover if I'm not a mom

Yes! The term "Mommy Makeover" was coined because many moms have these procedures to return to pre-baby shape.  Otherwise, it's just called breast surgery or a tummy tuck with liposuction.  Many patients, such as yourself, who have had significant weight loss can be a candidate for these procedures as well, as long as health isn't an issue.  From your photos, as long as your weight is steady and can be realistically maintained, a full tummy tuck is an option.  As for your arms, a bracioplasty may be a better option than arm liposuction.  Best bet is to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for a physical exam to go over your concerns and get your best options then.  Great job on your weight loss! ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover after Weight Loss

Congratulations on your weight loss!!   A Mommy Makeover refers to any breast procedure with tummy tuck, since these two areas are most commonly affected by pregnancy.

"Weight Loss Makeovers" of the breast and abdomen are also very common once you have reached your target weight.   I would recommend a full tummy tuck with liposuction of your flanks/hips.    I think your arms and thighs would most benefit from liposuction primarily.  

I would caution against doing your tummy tuck, breast lift, arm lipo, and thigh lipo all at once.   It would be very difficult to recover from that amount of surgery in regards to walking, using the restroom, etc.   I would recommend addressing your top 2 concerns first, then the other 2 at a second stage procedure.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, M.D.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Am I a Candidate for a Mommy Makeover Even Though I've Never Had Kids?

Breast lift coupled with tummy tuck and liposuction may yield the best result for you.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction, tummy tuck, and breast lift procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Loosing weight prior to considering body contouring surgery

After a significant weight loss there can be loose skin of the abdomen, arms and sagging of the breasts.  All of these problems can be repaired surgically when you have reached your goal weight.  You must be dedicated to a lifestyle change if you want these changes to be lasting.  Your next step is a consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon.