Am I a Candidate for Arm Lift?

As a follow up to my previous question about convincing a surgeon to do an arm lift, I thought I would provide more detail. I am in Saskatchewan, Canada (not in US), and there are few surgeons here who are willing to do the procedure. I am 5'6 and 193 pounds. I have lost 117 pounds and am within 10 pounds of my ideal weight (185). Am I an arm lift candidate? What about travelling to US for the procedure? What would the cost be? Recovery and follow up?

Arm yourself with knowledge

An arm lift is a common procedure for those who have lost a great deal of weight and end up with hanging "wings" of skin and fatty tissue on the upper arms.  Judging from your photos, I think brachioplasty surgery would effectively restore a more natural appearance to your body and help you further enjoy your slimmer, healthier body following your successful weight-loss.  Before undergoing arm lift cosmetic surgery, patients should have already achieved a healthy, stable weight.  To fully enjoy surgical results, patients should undergo this procedure only when their weight has stabilized.

While information provided on this site is a wonderful resource for patients researching their surgical options, it is no replacement for an in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine if you are an ideal candidate for brachioplasty.  Each patient's skin, tissues and body require an individualized approach.   During your consultation, your doctor will be able recommend a specific plan based on your shape, goals, health history and physical assessment.  Recovery rates vary based on the extent of surgery performed and patient healing characteristics.  Your doctor will be able to provide you with details on what to expect during you recovery period based on the treatment plan you choose, allowing you to take the next steps in the planning for your surgery.

Yours in health and beauty,
Camille Cash M.D.

Arm lift candidate

Thank you for your question. With age and/or weight changes, the upper arms can hold a lot of excess fatty tissue and develop skin laxity. An arm lift procedure helps to contour the upper arms by reducing excess skin and fat. The incisions can be hidden in the armpit for those with a moderate degree of laxity or along the vertical length of the upper and inner arm for those with more skin excess. In your case, I would suggest the latter.  The results are extremely satisfying. I would recommend that you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options in more detail.

Am I an arm lift candidate?

Hello

You are a good candidate for an arm lift.  I would recommend that you get to your target weight (of which you are almost there) and then have your arm reduction.

Good Luck

Stephen Salerno

You Appear to be an Excellent Candidate for an Arm Lift

-Congratulations on your major weight loss!

-Your photos show an abundance of loose skin of the upper arms, and an arm lift (brachioplasty) could definitely help to correct this issue.   The trade off, of course, is a long scar, but most patients are happy to accept the scar in light of a much improved contour.

-You certainly could travel to the U.S. for the procedure. Costs vary depending on region.  I usually leave a drain in on each side and remove them 3-5 days after the procedure. 

-Swelling takes months to completely resolve.

-Best of luck to you!

Am I a Candidate for Arm Lift?

yes, you are a good candidate for a Arm lift, there is not other way to correct the extra skin on your arms.

Walkiris Robles, MD

Arm lift procedure

In Toronto you will find doctors who can do this procedure. It is a 1 to 2 hour procedure and drains are removed in about 3 to 5 days. Cost is up to the doctor. You appear to be a good candidate for an arm lift. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for a arm lift?

Absolutely you are! Congrats on your weight loss!

I would recommend a arm lift combined with a little liposuction. I do this procedure frequently and it's important to understand that you are trading your current floppy arms in for smaller contoured arms with a scar. 

It's important that you do your research and go to a board certified Plastic Surgeon who does this procedure frequently. I think it's reasonable to travel for this procedure as post-op complications are usually infrequent.

Jennifer Harrington MD

Am I a Candidate for Arm Lift?

Yes, you are a good candidate for full brachioplasty, lifting. Best to research a US doc closed to home and contact them to obtain fees and length of stay in that city. 

Am I a Candidate for Arm Lift?

An extended arm lift would be the procedure of choice.  In general, drains will be placed and can be removed in a week or two.  The cost may be $8000 or so.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Am I a Candidate for Arm Lift?

You are a very good candidate for an arm lift. I'm not sure why you are having trouble finding a local surgeon as I have many friends who practice plastic surgery in Canada and do arm lifts. If you travel for the surgery, have your life arranged so you can stay locally for 2-3 days and then plan on returning for followup once or twice over the next few weeks. Costs will vary significantly depending on the city and surgeon where the surgery takes place.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD