How Much Weight Can You Lose After Liposuction?

I'm 220lbs. I want to know how much weight I can lose after Liposuction.

Liposuction is not a weight loss tool

First lets make things clear. Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure. Instead it is a fat removal technique where body contouring and shaping are the ultimate objectives.

Having said that, there is some reduction in weight which is in direct proportion to the amount of fat removed but you will only lose that weight from the area that you had the procedure on. And the weight loss is never as dramatic as it is sometimes made out to be. 

What you can expect is a shapelier you. You can expect a flatter stomach if you are having your abdomen done, thinner more shapely thighs if that is what you are having done or more defined buttocks.

India Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and liposuction

Significant reduction of fat from liposuction in obese patients may increase, significantly, the risks of the procedure. The amount of weight is not as important as the reduction in size, but the ideal candidate exercises regularly and eats a well-balanced meal so that their health is in good shape. The last bulge that can’t be reduced is then treated with liposuction. If there is generalized accumulation of fat then it is not as focused a procedure and the aesthetic results may not be as good. You might lose several pounds but fat is not nearly as dense as muscle and the amount of weight loss might disappoint you.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction is not for weight reduction

Liposuction is a fat contouring procedure NOT a weight reduction operation.

If you are referring to how much can be safely removed as an outpatient procedure- the answer is about 5KG.

If MORE is removed, you will require careful monitoring for fluid shift, drop in blood pressure etc.

Good Luck.

Liposuction for weight loss, No

Dear Whitelady,

Liposuction is a procedure for body contouring not for weight loss.  Most patients can lose about 10 to 11 pounds by liposuction of fat.  I don't recommend this surgery if you need to lose weight, I recommend losing the weight and then having surgery.

Steven Schuster MD FACS 

Steven Schuster, MD, FACS
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon