Veneer Vs Crown for Chipped Tooth?

My 8 yr. old son chipped his permanent front tooth. Its nearly chipped in half. He has never had any oral surgery on any of his teeth. What would recommend, a crown or a veneer?

Doctor Answers 6

Test Chipped Tooth first for need for Root Canal

Dear Mom,

With a tooth chipped in half there is a good possibility that your son may require root canal treatment.. The appearance of his tooth as well as his symptoms (temperature sensitivity or tooth pain) will help determine if a root canal is actually needed. After this I strongly believe in BONDING his tooth with composite resin and managing the tooth in this fashion (repairs and replacements) as needed until his late teens or early 20's. As a youngster the surface area of the tooth will not reach its maximum based on the nature of his dental development. As a young adult the decision of a VENEER or a CROWN can be based on available tooth structure and the existing bite relationship that your son has. With the great developments in porcelain your son should gain a great result!

Treat the tooth conservatively for now

At 8 years old, there is a good chance the tooth could have nerve damage, so get that tested and treat appropriately. There are many ways to treat this, and preferrably you want to avoid more trauma to the tooth, therefore, you should avoid a veneer or crown because you have to cut more of the tooth to do one.

Treat the tooth with composite for now, if the child has to go through braces, you may want the orthodontist to extrude the tooth slightly to give the dentist more tooth to hold onto later when a veneer or crown is appropriate. My recommendation is to wait until 16 years or later because as long as the face is still growing, the gums may change possition and the place where the tooth meets the gums (crown margin) may be visible.

M. Andrew Atwood, DDS
Bellevue Dentist
3.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Composite Bonding is the treatment of choice

First , make sure if there is any damage to the nerve. At this age, the pulp-nerve space- is very big but the root tip is not closed.and root canal is different with a normal adult tooth. Ask your dentist to check with pulp test or xray. if root canal is not required, just the composite bonding is the best choise. After 18Th, we are able to put a veneer or crown.

Bruce Vafa, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

At such a young age, less is more

The challenge will be getting a veneer or crown to stay put while the child is developing, as you will be dealing with a mixed dentition (primary and permanent teeth at the same time), developing jaw bones, and changing bite relationships. If possible I would opt for a veneer, as that would be more conservative. Determine health of the nerve (and it may not be clear right now and nerve issues may arise years from now), but be aware that this tooth will now have a lifetime of maintenance, and this will only be the first of several restorations in your child's lifetime. If a lot of tooth structure is removed now, there isn't much left for future restorations.

Lance Timmerman, DMD, MAGD
Seattle Dentist
4.3 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Veneer vs. Crown for 8 year old with chipped tooth

Dear Mom,

If he were my son, and the nerve was not exposed, I would build the tooth up with resin bonding (making it look really natural) and wait. I would continue to touch-up/replace the bonding if it continued to chip over the years, until maybe college or after. And then use conservative porcelain. Find an experienced cosmetic dentist for this.

Good Luck!

Susan Goode Estep, DMD
Atlanta Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Chipped tooth must be tested for need of Root canal

If a tooth was chipped almost in half at eight years old, the nerve may be damaged and his tooth may need a root canal. Watch for any symptoms and discoloration.

As for a venner a crown, the more conservative the better, but that should be determined whether there is enough structure for a veneer

Jennifer Jablow, DDS
New York Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.