Will Full Tummy Tuck Remove All Scars on Stomach?

I'm getting a tummy tuck and breast augmentation sometime after Christmas! I need to know what exactly I need. I think I need a full tummy tuck and larger breasts. Will a full tummy tuck remove all my scars? Is it really necessary that I get Liposuction after the procedure? Also, when I bend backwards, my muscle sticks out right below my breasts/in between my ribs, it that fixable? I am 5ft 2in and very short-waisted. How much would all of this cost (full costs, no hidden costs please)?

Tummy tuck and removal of C-section scars

The abdominoplasty will remove the scarring below the umbilicus but you would still be left with the upper part of your existing scar. From the photos, I think you would benefit from some flank liposuction at the time of the tummy tuck. Cost is highly dependent on your location, the facility and anesthesia charges quoted by the ambulatory center, and the individual surgeon. In NY, everything can be included in the price of surgery except for prep testing and postop pain medication, per state and federal laws.

Full tummy tuck vs. mini tummy tuck vs. liposuction

Your case would be best served by a full tummy tuck. Only this will tighten the skin, the deep layer (fascia), both above and below the belly button.

It is likely that much or all of the vertical scar will be gome after the procedure. There will be, however, a hip to hip incision instead.

Usually, liposuction is performed as well in strategic safe areas.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Find the right Plastic Surgeon

Far more important than deciding which procedure is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that!
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

The price is dependent on many factors - is it a mini, full or extended abdominoplasty such as a fleur de lis pattern where redundant skin is removed from the center as well as the bottom of the abdomen? Is it skin only or does it include tightening of the muscles? Will Liposuction also be necessary? Will it be performed in a hospital with an overnight stay or in an independent out-patient facility? Will a surgical assistant be needed? Will a board-certified anesthesiologist or a nurse anesthetist be used? Will an (anti) pain pump be used?
All of these factors influence the cost. In Orange County, the estimated range is $7000- $15,000+ depending on the variables above.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Tummy tucks can remove abdominal scars

The tummy tuck procedure can remove scars on the lower abdomen, and replace the scar with a very low horizontal scar beneath the bikini line.

Tummy tuck and removal of old scars

A tummy tuck removes a considerable amount of tissue between your old belly button and the low bikini line incision.  The exact amount depends on the degree of skin laxity. A considerable portion of your scar can be removed, but be prepared to have some of this remain behind if your surgeon deems it safer to leave it behind rather and place too much tension along the incision line.  Also consider liposuction around the hips/waist area possibly a little in the abdomen to create a flatter and toner outcome.  Good luck.

Will a tummy tuck remove all of my pre-existing scars

In looking at your photos, it appears that you likely do not have enough skin from your ribcage to your belly button to be able to stretch that skin out to extend all the way down to your pubic region. For that reason your vertical scar will be displaced downward, but you will still have some of it. As to the bulging you describe, in most cases there can be sutures placed into the muscles to bring them closer together and decrease that bulging. As to needing liposuction after a tummy tuck, it is needed in a small number of case assuming that all heals well and the patient does not gain weight. A small area of liposuction can frequently be done in the office under local anesthesia.

Julio Garcia, MD

Good chance that scars will be removed

Since it appears that all your abdominal scars are below the umbilicus and you have alot of loose abdominal skin, I think that the the possiblities are good that all your scars can be removed with tummy tuck surgery.  Now if you have stretch marks that extend a good ways above your belly button, not all of them can be removed with the tummy tuck operation.

James Tang, MD

Scars on Abdomen

Based on your photo it appears that you can eliminate the scar that is located vertically from your belly button area.

Good Luck to you

Dr. Kimberly Henry

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

If the scars are below the belly button, then it would probably be safe.  If they are above the belly button, be careful, tissue necrosis can occur.  Liposuction can help contour the hips for a better result.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Abdominoplasty for scars on stomach

You appear to have a very short distance between the bottom of your breast bone and your pubic bone. The picture doesn't allow me to see all visible scars. Without seeing you in person that is difficult. Liposuction doesn't have to be done at the same time but is typically used to enhance the result , especially in the lower flank and lower back areas. Costs depend on your city and who is performing the procedure. Please seek out a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.