Sitting Down After Brazilian Butt Lift?

How long before you can actually sit on your new Brazilian butt and not worry about pain or losing fat? What should I buy to sit on? And should I worry about losing fat? Thanks

Can I Sit After my Brazilian Butt Lift?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Brazilian Butt Lift is quickly becoming one of the most popular procedures in the United States because it can give patients a total body transformation.  The combination of the liposculpting and fat transfer can give patients the hourglass or A frame figure they have always desired and has led to the popularity of the procedure! 

One of the most common questions that I get during the consultation is about sitting.  We never realize how much we sit until we can’t sit anymore.  I currently recommend to my patients that they cannot sit for six weeks after surgery.  This is so important because the fat transferred needs to “take” so that you can have the best results possible from their Brazilian Butt Lift.

The fat that is transferred survives by having new blood vessels grow into it so that it can last for years to come.  Any pressure (such as sitting) can disrupt this process and decrease the amount of fat that survives and ultimately your results. 

My current protocol is:

1. No sitting for six weeks
  2. No laying on your back for six weeks
  3. After two weeks, you can use the BBL pillow if you have to sit to travel, meeting or such.
    1. The BBL pillow fits on airline seats
    2. This is the BBL pillow that we currently use:
      • bblpillow.com
    3. This should be used as little as possible as the more you can avoid sitting all together the better.
  4. After 6 weeks patients, can start sitting for an hour at a time.

I believe that not sitting is so important that a BBL pillow is included in every butt augmentation surgery that we perform.  We see a dramatic difference in the patients that are meticulous about not sitting and using their pillow versus those that put pressure on the butt. 

We have been fortunate to have some amazing results in our practice and that in part is due to how meticulous our patients are about not sitting or lying on their back for the first six weeks.  If they have to sit, they will be using their BBL pillow. 

The Brazilian Butt Lift Surgery is a big investment in time and money so I want all of my patients to get the best result possible.  I am writing this blog to stress the importance of not sitting after your surgery so can get the best possible result.

Please discuss your Brazilian Butt Lift (Butt Augmentation with Fat Transfer) with your board-certified plastic surgeon.  Every surgeon has their own sitting protocol after surgery and you should discuss it with them so that you can follow their instructions to get the best possible results from your Brazilian Butt lift.  

Sitting down after BBL

Typically patients should avoid sitting or direct pressure on the buttocks for a minimum of 2 weeks. The reason being that the pressure will cause the newly injected fat cells to die and be reabsorbed into the body. 
For optimal results avoid prolonged pressure or sitting for longer than 45 minutes at a time during this 2 week process.

Best Wishes,
Dr. Michael Obeng

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Sitting after a BBL...

A Brazilian Butt Lift consists of harvesting fat from one area of the body, processing and purifying it, and then injecting it back into the buttocks area to increase volume and enhance shape. When the fat is first injected it has been pulled out of its usual ‘home’ environment, stripped of its blood supply and placed into a new region where it has to re-establish a blood supply from the surrounding tissue. A that time it is very delicate and needs to be treated gently. During the first 10-14 days it begins to ‘grow into’ the new environment. Blood vessels hook up to bring it nutrition and get rid of waste (just like plumbing in your house). Once the new ‘supply lines’ have been established, the fat cells become more durable and tolerant, and eventually become ‘one’ with surrounding tissue. At that point they are no longer vulnerable and can handle normal wear and tear! If those fat cells encounter adverse conditions during the early healing period, they may never develop attachments to their new home, and proceed to die. One of the worst conditions for these transplanted cells is pressure. It can squish them enough to burst, push them into places we don’t want them, and result in poor shape and unsatisfactory results. I would recommend in your situation to plan to take at least 7-10 days off of work completely, and then plan to get up frequently and shift your weight often (every 10-15 minutes or so). Also consider bringing a cushion to sit on for the first week back. Take the precautions necessary to get the best result you can from your surgery. If you follow the rules early, you get a result you can enjoy forever!

Sitting after BBL

You should avoid sitting for at least two weeks after surgery, because you increase the risk of losing transferred fat. After the two weeks, keep sitting to a minimum. You can sit on a ring pillow or place a rolled up towel under your thighs to alleviate the pressure.

Ronald Levine, MD

Limit: 1 Hour Intervals, For 2 Weeks

It’s important to realize that fat cells are very fragile in the immediate post-operative period.This situation doesn’t improve until these fat cells have re-established blood supply with the surrounding tissue.In most cases, this takes about two weeks to occur.At this point, fat cells become less sensitive to the effects of pressure and are less likely to be damaged by sitting or lying on the buttocks.
For these reasons, we limit sitting or lying on the buttocks to one hour intervals for the first two weeks following surgery.We also recommend the use of an inflatable pillow.This routine places obvious limitations on physical activity for post-operative patients.Unfortunately failure to comply with these recommendations can result in fat cell death from pressure.This can result in flattening and contour irregularity of the buttocks.
If you’re concerned about how sitting effects the results of Brazilian butt lift surgery, consultation with your surgeon is appropriate.Your surgeon should be able to clarify this issue.

How long before I can sit after Brazilian Butt lift?

Every surgeon has a different post-op regimen to protect the fat that has been transferred.  During my consultations, I show patients how they should sit after surgery (with a pillow).  I remove all restrictions at 6 weeks.

Dennis Dass, MD

Avoid sitting after a Brazilian Butt lift

The recovery process of a Brazilian Butt lift is very important to obtain atrophic and result. After the surgery, all of our patients are placed in a special compresses down which applies selective pressure to all areas of perceived lack of suction. This gown does not apply pressure to the areas that have received the new fat grafts. Patients are also encouraged not to sit for prolonged periods of time. Patients are also informed that when they do say they should use a round air cushion to minimize placing pressure or weight on the areas with the new fat graft. Patients typically avoid sitting for prolonged periods of time for 2 to 3 weeks after their surgery By following these recommendations patients can ensure to receive the optimal result.

For more information on Brazilian butt lifts or butt augmentation, please schedule an iConsult or visit us online at the link below:

Don't sit directly on your buttocks after Brazilian Butt Lift!

Hello Michelle,

Not sitting directly on your buttocks after a brazilian butt lift is very important. I recommend that my patients do not sit directly on their buttocks for about 3-4 weeks after the procedure not only to reduce their discomfort but more importantly not to reduce the amount of fat loss. Direct pressure to the fat in the early healing period can be harmful to the survival of the transferred fat. I allow my patients to rest on their side and they may sit for very brief periods of time for bathroom use. When you consult with your surgeon make sure that you discuss his or her instructions for sitting after a brazilian butt lift and follow them carefully.

I hope this is helpful.

Sitting Down After Brazilian Butt Lift?

after 1-2 weeks. Seek a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon