Would a Tummy Tuck Revision Improve Results?

Three months after my tummy tuck, I'm not happy. When I stand up it's fine, but if I sit down or bend over, the skin goes over my pants. Plus my belly button is horrible.

My dr (who is certified) says I look great, and if he re-does the tummy tuck it won't make any difference in my results. What do you think?

Would a tummy tuck revision improve my results?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the photo.  It is hard to definitively say without a proper exam.  You are very early in your post operative course.  It usually takes about a year to see the final result.  I would continue to see your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  They will help you through the process.  If there needs to be a revision, you will talk about cost.   Cost often depends on the amount of revision to be done, and how much time is spent in the O.R.  For revisional surgery, the surgeon often does not have control over some costs, (O.R. fees, Anesthesia fees, Supplies, etc:). This is usually passed on to the patient.  Most surgeons will charge some fee for their own revision surgery, if needed.  This can be variable.   Best to discuss this with your surgeon.  Communicate with them your thoughts, and together your should be able to come up with a plan. 

Would a Tummy Tuck Revision Improve Results

Thank you for submitting your question. Swelling after a full abdominoplasty will last for many weeks after surgery Final results take 6-12 months. Some patients with excessively lax skin may develop laxity after surgery. Rest assured if the laxity persists in 6-12 months a revision can be performed. Discuss concerns with your Plastic surgeon.

I believe it is far too soon to be discussing any tummy tuck revision.  Not all of the swelling and tissue remodeling is done at 3 months especially in the areas your discuss as your concern.  The final areas for the tissue to settle and be done with swelling is between the belly button and the pubic hairline, and that is not usually gone at the 3 month time frame.
Garrett A. Wirth, MD, MS, FACS
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Swelling and Recovery Following Abdominoplasty

It’s not unusual for patients to experience swelling in the immediate post-operative period.  For this reason it’s difficult to make decisions about revisional surgery until patients are at least six months post-op from their original procedures.  At that point swelling has usually resolved and soft tissue has softened and relaxed.

It’s important to be patient and allow adequate time for wound healing.  If you’re not satisfied with your surgeons advise a second opinion may be helpful.

It can take 6 months or longer for all swelling and fullness to completely resolve, and of course much longer than that for scars to settle and fade.  I would suggest waiting that length of time before considering a revision. 

Revision Tummy Tuck

You are only 3 months post op surgery so I would ask that you give your body more time to heal, for the swelling to subside and the skin to re-drape properly.  It can take up to 6 months (sometimes more) to see the final results.  The scars improve with time and take 12-18 months to fully mature.  I normally ask patients to wait until after that time period for a scar revision.

Be patient and keep in close contact with your surgery and re-assess after that 6 month period.

When to do tummy tuck revisions

Hi Kellusa21 - After three months, your skin is still healing and you won't realize the final scars for 1 1/2 to 2 years. However, if you're unhappy about the excess skin it can be removed with a revision abdominoplasty. The recovery should be easier than the first surgery as it will involve less surgery.

Three months after a tummy tuck?

At three months after your abdominoplasty you are healing and recovering and i wouldn't consider a revision at this time. The belly button is still swollen and will almost certainly shrink more and look more natural with time. As well it is possible, depending on your natural (and unique) skin elasticity that the appearance of the lower abdominal skin will improve. That said, there may always be some slight fold or hang of skin when you bend over. Think of it from this perspective- some of the likely reasons that you desired an abdominoplasty include looseness of the skin and perhaps looseness of the abdominal wall or foundation of the abdomen. During surgery the abdominal wall can be tightened and skin removed. BUT the remaining skin still has the same quality and elasticity that it did prior to surgery. When we stand up straight the skin of the abdomen is stretched tight, when we bend over the elasticity of our skin is responsible for the contour or how the skin folds. In the photo provided it appears there are some stretch marks in the lower abdomen. Stretch marks are a sign of damage to the dermis, which is the strength/elastic layer of the skin. The quality or elasticity of the skin is not changed with surgery.

John E. Gross, MD

Is tummy tuck revision warranted?

It's still too soon to tell whether you will derive any benefit from tummy tuck revision. Over the next several months, you will continue to experience some mild improvement in swelling and some mild tightening of the skin. Seeing how everything looks fine when you're standing upright, it's very possible that the appearance will continue to improve with bending. I'd also anticipate that the appearance of the scars will improve with the passage of time; most scars evolve from thick and red to pale and white over several months to 2 years after surgery.

If, 6 months or more after surgery, you're still unhappy with your appearance, it would be worthwhile to seek additional consultation, both with your surgeon and with another if you disagree with his assessment. Best of luck!