Restylane or Juvederm Injection Safe and Effective for Under Eyes?

Is it safe and effective to have Restylane or Juvederm injected under the eyes for hollowness? If so, which is better? I had a lower blepharoplasty 8 years ago and I'm very hollow under the eyes. I am 48 years old and I have an appointment for a consultation and possible treatment this coming week, but I am apprehensive about the actual injection.

Restylane is safe and effective for under eyes

Dear Hopefulhollow,

RESTYLANE. Hands down.

Juvederm is a great filler but causes more swelling and is best not used along the periorbital area.

For best results, I would insist on getting the injections from an experienced DOCTOR (not a nurse or other injector). As a plastic surgeon, I COULD smugly tell you that we are THE best. But that would not be true.

I would though pick a GOOD ENT (facial plastics) or Dermatologist as easily but make sure they can deliver what you want and will be personally responsible for the result.

Good Luck.

Eyelid surgery, Restylane, Peri-orbital hollows, hollow under eyes, tired eyes

You ask a very good question- the under eye area needs special attention and care. The hollow contributes to a tired appearance. With blepharoplasty the area under the eye must be filled in or the eyes may look more tired in the short time when the surgical swelling has resolved.

Restylane can be used to correct the hollow very nicely. As an alternative the hollow can be fat grafted at the time of surgery or if not then- at a later date. Fat grafting gives a permanent result to the correction of the hollow.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Filler along the lower eye

Placing filler material such as restylane and juvederm along the lower lid can be done. There is a slight risk of blindnes that has been reported with this technique although it is extremely rare.  Go to an experienced injector.

Yes, it can be done, but it is a very tough procedure and should only be done by an expert

When I say expert, I mean it. If you go to the medispa down the street, you are most likely going to be very unhappy. It can have real problems (read some of the RealSelf questions on this subject if you doubt that) if done improperly.

Even if it is done properly, it sometimes doesn't work all that great as that area can be scarred from the initial procedure and the anatomy of the area can be 'off'. Good luck whatever you do!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and Tear Trough

Of all the areas in which we place fillers, this is potentially the highest impact region of the face. The results of a well-done augmentation of the lower lid complex can have major rejuvenating effects. However, of all the areas, this is the one in which you need to find an injector with expertise and experience in injecting this area. The potential complications can range from minor irregularities to serious injury to the anatomy around the eye. In well-trained hands, the risks are very minor. Restylane and Juvederm are probably the two safest substances to inject in this region. Web reference:

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Injections Under the Eyes to Correct Hollowness

Hi Hopeful,

I, and many others now only use Restylane to fill lower eyelid hollowness because of experience with too much swelling under the eyes with Juvederm in one of my patients, and in many patients injected elsewhere.

The safety of the injection in this area is related to the experience and skill of the injecting physician. It is a very delicate and unforgiving area so choose your injecting physician most carefully.

When performed properly, the results are excellent.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for under eyes

Filling up the tear trough area can be a very effective option and if done well looks very natural. Juvederm and Restylane are versatile products for this area but there is one thing to be careful about: if your skin is very thin, especially toward the inner corner of the eye, you may get a bluish appearance because the products are clear. Another filler called Evolence works well in that case. As long as your injector is experienced with treating this area, they will be able to make a good recommendation.

Richard Baxter, MD

Prefer Restylane for under eye hollowing

I think that a filler procedure is ideal for the circumstance described. The loss of volume (reduction of fat) after blepharoplasty creates hollowing under the eyes. This is best addressed with a filler agent that can "volumize" the hollow area. I agree with comments noted by other physicians that this is safe and effective but highly dependent on the skill of the person performing the procedure. Another option for longer-term results is fat injection.

Guy Lin, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Great caution in injections around the eyes

Great caution must be exercised in this area when injecting any filler. I will only inject a reversible filler in this area ie Juviderm or Restylane. Both can be reversed with another injection. The incidence of complications or undesirable results in this area are at least 10% by most reports so again make sure the person injecting in this area is extremely experienced. To me this requires a facial or plastic surgeon or eye plastic someone who has an understanding of the anatomy in this area and can deal with problems should they occur.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes if done for the right reason

Fillers are safe and effective if done properly and for the right reason. If you need lower eyelid lift and expect the fillers to give you the same result, you will not be happy with result. Fillers are to fill depressions and loss of volume. The risk is higher when filler are injected close to the eye. You should make sure your doctor is qualified to do this procedure.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon