Doctor in PA Who Does Neograft Hair Transplant?

Could you please let me know of doctors in PA who do Neograft on hair? Thanks!

Experience of Your Surgeon is *Much* More Important Than Any Method or Machine Used

NeoGraft was introduced about 5 years ago, and is simply a machine that a physician (or, more likely, a technician) uses to perform the follicular unit extraction (FUE) procedure. It is more or less a motorized, hand-held circular punch, attached to suction. I attended a physician's office in Florida in 2009 for a demonstration of the NeoGraft device. I've been performing FUE procedures since 2003, and I was very interested to see this device. While at this meeting, hosted by the NeoGraft corporation, it was interesting to note that I was the only dedicated hair restoration surgeon in attendance. The others there to see and perhaps purchase the machine were spa owners, obstetricians, several family practice doctors, and a few business managers for doctors who dabbled in cosmetic surgery in general. I was pretty surprised. The graft placement feature of the NeoGraft device with positive pressure is a gimmick, as I asked the head trainer for the NeoGraft corporation to place a graft using this. We were observing an live procedure, and we watched as he tried several times, but was not able to place a single graft with the machine.

NeoGraft has done a tremendous amount of marketing, and I see physicians who have never done a hair transplant around the country acquire this machine, piggyback on the marketing done by NeoGraft, and start to offer this complicated, and permanent procedure to the public. In much of the country, the doctor will simply hire a technician (the going rate for a NeoGraft tech in Atlanta is $70/hour) to perform the procedure. It should be noted at this point that hair restoration technicians have the same exact medical training requirements as grass cutters: absolutely none. The physician only need sign the papers and be on the premises. No joke. So, whether using the NeoGraft, or the much more advanced ARTAS robotic hair restoration system, or any other device, including a 50 cent 1mm biopsy punch, it is the experience and dedication of the surgeon and his team that will determine the outcome.

Hair Restoration is it's own specialty now. There's a global society (the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery) and a Board. Choosing a surgeon 100% dedicated to hair restoration is paramount. If "NeoGraft" suddenly appears on a long list of other procedures a physician offers, I would be wary, as it is unlikely that the physician has a full-time, highly-trained team of hair restoration technicians, and is just hiring one of many "hired gun" technicians that will arrive at the office, and do the procedure for $70 an hour. There are hundreds of subtleties and nuances in hair restoration, and assuming that because a physician now offers NeoGraft, in addition to all the other procedures offered, will be competent and excel at hair restoration surgery is simply foolish. Look at the experience and dedication of the surgeon who will be performing the surgery, and make sure technicians are not actually the ones who will be performing the surgery. Also make sure the physician you choose is actually a trained surgeon. The majority of hair restoration "surgeons" are, in fact, not trained in surgery at all, and hold no board certificates in any surgical specialty whatsoever, so examine your physician's credentials carefully. You should feel perfectly comfortable asking for a copy of the surgeon's resume to review. Look for many years of dedication exclusively to hair restoration, not just cosmetic surgery in general.

This problem is so rampant and common that the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, the global community of physicians practicing hair restoration, issued a consumer alert about this issue. I see patients every month who had a hair restoration performed by a technician with the NeoGraft device presenting to our office asking for help; asking me to repair the unnatural looking hair transplant results. This is often very difficult, and occasionally impossible. Because as we say in this specialty, "the good thing about hair restoration is that it's permanent. The bad thing about hair restoration is that it's permanent." Consult with more than one surgeon, make sure he or she is actually a trained surgeon, and get a feel for who you think will be the best for you. A machine absolutely does NOT guarantee good, or even acceptable results.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

ISHRS

ISHRS has a list of hair transplant doctors all around the world.  There should be many in your area.  
If you are seeking a doctor who has the Neograft instrument, you can search the Neograft website.

Neograft is a company that makes the instrument for harvesting a hair follicle.
The Neograft terminology is often misused as a type or the name of a surgical technique.
However, "Neograft" tool is just another instrument in carrying out the FUE method of harvesting of hair.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Surgeon Experience

Thank you for your question, chris27. As you consider many different surgeons, please hold their experience and board certification credential as your highest priorities because the board certification credential and ample experience can ensure that you receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Finding a good hair restoration specialist

Neograft is a machine that is used to harvest the grafts from the donor area.  It is a good idea to select a doctor that has experience in all aspects of hair transplant including both harvesting and recipient area design and planing.  A hair restoration specialist should provide a comprehensive approach for your hair loss that may include hair restoration and hair medical regiment to slow down the progression of your hair loss as your age. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Two docs

That do NeoGraft in PA are Dr. Brian Heil in Pittsburgh and Dr. Paul Glat outside Philadelphia.  Both are excellent board certified plastic surgeons.

Tim Neavin, MD

Neograft Operator

Yes, it is very operator dependent.  We are starting to see Neograft used by clinics run by gynecolgists and family doctors.  Its a side thing some clinics do vs the main thing other clinics do. I think everyone should set a minimum criteria but we like the idea of always checking the training of your doctor online with the state medical board.  Also look at the websites.  Do you want the lipo doc or hormone therapy doc also doing your hair?  It is your call. Just look into all the details first.

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Neograft: To Use or Not To Use

I am personal friends with the Neograft people. They are also sponsoring a course that I am course director for on hair restoration in a week or two in St. Louis. I think with any technology, it is very operator dependent. Hair restoration is an art and a science. I am constantly exploring new ways to achieve better results in my patients.

I would say that I have no personal experience with the product. In short, it is a machine that harvests hairs from the back of the head using some kind of suction device. I would say that in theory it sounds attractive.

I think what is so important is you find a surgeon who has extensive experience with hair restoration with a proven technique that can demonstrate to you care and attention for every facet of the procedure from understanding hair loss (when to operate and when not to operate), medical management of hair loss (what when and how to treat), hairline design (gender, ethnicity, age, degree of hair loss, how much donor hair available), donor harvesting (care with tumescence, minimizing transection, minimal donor scar, possible trichophytic closure), graft dissection (handling and dissection are so very critical), recipient site pattern (density, shape, angles), graft placement (atraumatic insertion, placing the grafts at the right angle, right graft to site fit), etc.

All of these criteria are what I would look for when interviewing a surgeon about his/her results. Care more about results than just focusing on a brand or a technology no matter how good it may or may not be.

best,

sml

www.hairtx.com

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are only two permanent hair replacement techniques.

One if hair transplant. The other is the Fleming-Mayer flap technique. You should look into both by surgeons who do these to determine if they will give you what you want. Go by the results, not the name.

Neograft in Elkton, MD near PA/DE state lines

Our practice offers hair restoration using the Neograft system. Feel free to call my office at (410) 398-3445 to schedule a consultation at your convenience to learn if you are a good candidate and the advantages.

David V. Martini, MD
Elkton Facial Plastic Surgeon