Multiple Cosmetic Procedures Safety and the Recovery Time?

I'm a healthy 25-year-old woman, and I've lost 80 pounds, now at my ideal weight. The procedures I'd like done are: Breast Augmentation, Inner Thigh Lift (loose skin isn't severe), and Liposuction to the 'bra fat' area and the 'muffin top' area (ie. lowerback and flanks). I don't have much fat, just small uneven pockets here and there. Can these 3 procedures be safely combined? I can't take more than 7-9 days off work (5-6 hours desk job on week days). Will I be recovered enough to go to work in a week? Thank you.

Congrats on your achievment!

What a great story -- losing all of that weight! Kudos to you and your achievment.

A far as the multiple procedures go, the ones you describe can all be done safely in one operation. The inner thigh lift may however set you back a bit more than a week. Depending upon what exactly your surgeon needs to do, that operation can take longer than a week to recover.

Be sure that your operation is being performed in a certified office surgical suite, surgery center, or hospital, and that your surgeon is Board certified.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Healing and Activity Following a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Multiple procedures

Multiple procedures can be done safely, but it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done. In some cases, an overnight stay may be recommended. Most surgeons refer to a "mommy makeover" as a series of cosmetic surgery procedures intended to restore a woman’s figure after pregnancy. Please talk to your plastic surgeon to get their thoughts on the matter as they are most familiar with your medical history and overall health status.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Multiple cosmetic procedures safely and the recovery time?

The combination of procedures that you are contemplating should all be able to be done safely at the same time. Unfortunately however I think you should plan a longer recovery time. It would be ideal if you could take off 2 weeks.
One of the most important factors in performing several procedures at the same time is the length of surgery. Although there is no universally agreed upon time limit most surgeons would probably agree that the limit falls between 4-6 hours. Many surgeons use 5 hours as a limit. Complication rates begin to rise as the length of surgery exceeds this time frame. In order to safely and effectively perform several procedures within this timeframe it is very important that the surgeon and his or her team are highly trained and routinely perform these combinations in an efficient manner.
A very important member of the team is the anesthesiologist. An anesthesiologist who routinely performs with the team understands the various details important to an ideal outcome and ideal postoperative recovery.
In order to properly select patients for lengthy surgical procedure such as this many factors need to be taken into consideration. Some these include the patient's BMI, any history of pulmonary problems, a history of sleep apnea, and the presence of diabetes or heart problems. Every patient should undergo a risk assessment for the development of a DVT (blood clot) and/or pulmonary embolism. If a significant risk is identified appropriate steps must be taken to satisfactorily reduce the risk.
When preparing a patient for a combination procedure it is very important to properly educate them on what to expect during the recovery and the homecare they will need.
Many patients comment that the results of these combinations are truly life-changing. Fortunately today, these life-changing combination procedures can be safely performed as long as it is done by highly trained and efficient surgical teams on properly selected patient's with safety as the primary consideration.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

VIDEO (click here for link) Multiple Cosmetic Procedures Safety and the Recovery Time?

I am not so sure that you would be able to return to work in 1 week without knowing more about the extenti of the procedures.

Multiple procedures

Yes, you may be able to get these procedures done at the same time, but without an evaluation it is difficult to say.  It also depends upon the extent of work, the time in the OR, and your overall  medical condition.

Multiple Procedures

It sounds as if you had done a great job of losing weight. Multiple procedures can be performed at the same time however the choice of those procedures is an individual one. You'll want to speak to you your plastic surgeon about his or her comfort level performing the operations that you are asking about simultaneously.

When multiple operations are done at the same time, the length of the procedure increases and your exposure to anesthesia also increases. There are some operations that are higher risk to combine with others. In particular, abdominoplasty is a concerning operation to combine with other large operations. As this does not sound like one of the procedures you are looking for at this time I think it is likely that you could have all of your surgery at once.

Again, I think it is very important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate your particular case and make well-educated decisions.