Male Breast Reduction with Areola Reduction?

I want know if Male breast reduction procedure can be done simultaneously with areola reduction?

Areolar reduction

I do not perform areolar reduction at the same time as gynecomastia surgery. The complication rate for simultaneous areolar reduction and gynecomastia surgery is logrythmically increased. Areolar size is reduced by the gynecomastia surgery.

About Gynecomastia with Puffy Nipples Complex

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia. Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.

As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.

Reduction

It is rare that I would reduce areola on first stage. The addition of more scars often outweighs the benefit. The areola often to reduce in size naturally with tissue contraction. At a later stage one can always go in under local and reduce areola it if it continues to be bothersome.   

Tim Neavin, MD

Male Breast Reduction with Areola Reduction

Hi,

Thanks for the post. Two things generally happen to the areola after gynecomastia: they get smaller and they get darker. This happens to a variable degree from one patient to another. It is due to the remove of the excess tissue that had been pushing the areola outward. I typically do not perform areola reductions at the same time for this reason and also for a more important reason that it can potentially risk disruption of the blood supply to the nipple and areola. 

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Common

Yes, it is very common for male breast reduction and areola reduction to be performed at the same time.

Depending on the extent of the surgery intended, there can be an increased risk with wound healing issues, but both procedures CAN be performed together.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Male Breast Reduction with Areola Reduction - one or two procedures?

Yes it is possible to do both procedures at the same time. However, most often I find that the it is best to do it separately. For on reason, sometimes when I anticipate two surgeries - the second one is not needed. When the skin retracts for example after liposuction of the breasts so does the areola (which is a skin appendage) which may satisfy your wishes.

For males with very large breasts staged procedures (more than one procedure) may be required. For example, the first procedure may be liposuction, then several weeks to months later after skin contraction has occurred, a separate procedure is done to remove excess skin. By doing a staged procedure, often the final scars are less.

Larry Nichter, MD, FACS

Gynecomastia Surgery and Areola Reduction

Both of these procedures can technically be done same time.  However I have found that correction of gynecomastia and areola reduction surgery done at the same time does carry increased risks  compared to either one of the procedures done separately.  This increased risk is related to decreased blood flow to the nipple/areola.

Sometimes the areola shrinks enough with the  gynecomastia surgery that the areola reduction surgery becomes unnecessary.

Please make sure you're working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Areolar reduction is rarley neseccery

This is an important point I would like to make:Areola reduction should rarely be done.I have performed thousands Male Breast Reduction Surgeries over 30 years and I can't remember when I have performed areolar reduction,yet the vast majority of my patients were happy with their results and the post surgery areola size,even when it was large prior to surgery. I did fine that when an adequate excision of the gland and adipose tissue plus an adequate thinning and defatting of the areolas is enough 98% of the time.I am reluctant to perform areolar reduction because a scar on a man is less acceptable then on a woman because it defeats the purpose of the surgery and can not be covered with a bra. Just the possibility that a few of the scars we be unacceptable usually prevent me from doing it in many cases. It does not mean that areola reduction is wrong,it is an acceptable and a standard procedure in plastic surgery. Those  thoughts and philosophy are only mine. 

Mordcai Blau, MD

The areola will shrink as a by-product of male breast reduction

You may very well not need a formal reduction of the areola.  Removal of the breast tissue is often accompanied by a decrease in the diameter of the areola.