How Much Skin Can Be Tightened During Lower Body Lift?

I am 50 years old, 5'4" and 120 lbs. While pregnant, I gained 40 lbs. twice. I have saggy unsightly skin, cottage cheese and piles forming in my thighs and buttocks, making me very self-conscious.

How many inches can a surgeon pull up on the butt to get tightening results of lower body lift on top of thighs? Will the scar be wider the more that is taken out? I had abdominal skin excision with pencil thin scar, can I expect the same scar results? Thanks!

Skin Removal with Lower Body lift

Thank you for your photograph and questions.  By your description and photo you would be a very good candidate for a lower body lift.  The amount of skin that can be removed needs to be determined in person during your consultationwith an experienced surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery..  For the abdomen, the removal is typically between your pubic bone and belly button.  On the side of your torso, the band of skin that can be taken depends upon how much excess you have, but it provides a lift of your lareal thighs.  The buttock lift tapers from the sides to a minimal amount of removal in the midline over the spine.  Scars under tension tend to be wider than those closed with very little tension.  If you have excellent scars from a prior skin excision , that is a good sign of how your body will respond the next time.

Loose skin

A lot of skin can be tightened, although I would remove very little, saving most of the fat to auto-augment your buttock. This would improve the cheesey look a lot

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lower Body Lift

Most of my patients will have 3 to 4 inches of the buttock skin removed in between the upper butt and lower back.  The most important thing is the placement of the scar.  The incision has to be perfectly placed in between the lower back and the upper butt.  It is this incision that demarcateds the butt form the back.  If placed too high, the butt will look too long.  If placed too low, the butt will look too short.

There is no set number of inches that apply to everyone and no sure way to tell you based on you picture.  Overall it looks like you would be an excellent candidate for the lower body lift.  Final scars are dependent on the surgical technique and your body's healing overall.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

How Much Skin Can Be Removed During Massive Weight Loss Surgery

It's not unusual for patients to develop loose back skin and buttock sag following massive weight loss. The magnitude of skin sag is dependent upon multiple variables including the amount of weight loss and the patients skin quality.

The amount of skin that can be resected in any particular patient is entirely dependent upon their physical findings. In some cases, 3 to 4 inches of skin resection may be necessary, while in other cases, 8 to 10 inches may be necessary. This will depend entirely upon the patients anatomic characteristics.

It's important to understand that the scarring associated with this procedure is variable, as well. This not only depends upon the patients wound healing characteristics, but the amount of tension on the closure. For this reason, it's important not to close wounds with significant tension. When tension is minimized, scars are far less likely to spread.

If you're considering a lower body lift, it's important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Skin Tightening During Lower Body Lift

After reviewing your description and photo it looks that you may be an ideal candidate for a lower body lift. There is not a set amount of skin that can or cannot be removed. This is all based on each individual patient’s unique circumstances. I recommend scheduling a complimentary consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to project what your outcome would be post procedure.

Scott Chapin, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Skin tightening

Typically the amount of skin that could be removed is anything that will not require too much tension.  We'll certainly try to remove all of the skin that is possible without

The appropriate amount of skin to be excised from any body lift operation depends on the laxity of the skin.  Skin laxity varies significantly from person to person.  It is always a plastic surgeon's judgement call to determine the right amount to be excised.  The risk of removing too much skin is a scar that can pull apart or thicken or that results in poor circulation of the tightened tissues.  The risk of removing too little skin is insufficient tightening or lifting.  Plastic surgeons are always in the position of taking "just the right amount" when performing these operations. Taking just the right amount comes from experience in performing many of these operations in many different people.

Paul Fortes, MD

Lower Body Lift

It sounds as though you are an excellent candidate for an abdominoplasty or lower body lift. I advise consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your expectations and goals, they will be able to evaluate you and determine based on your current health if you are a candidate.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

How much skin can be tightened in a lower body lift

Congratulations! If you've had a successful body contouring procedure before with a well healed scar, you may do well again. But, I urge caution - don't get greedy. The lifting of the buttocks using the superior bikini cut location on both buttocks can only do so much tightening, especially in the upper thigh area. Yes, the more tension is placed on any scar, the greater the likelihood that it will widen with time. Make sure you visit with a Board-certified plastic surgeon to make the best decision. Good luck and let us know if we can help.