Is It Wrong to Get Breast Implants As a Christian?

Carrie Prejean told US Magazine that she thought getting breast implants wasn't wrong as a Christian. I realize the doctors here are pro-cosmetic surgery, but are any of them able to explain why they don't think it's wrong?

Breast implants are used to improve your appearance

As you seek to improve or restore your appearance with breast implants why would you think this is any thing different that improving your appearance in other ways. Every day christian women will put on make-up, get expensive hair-dos, comb and brush hair, manicures, wear jewelery etc. and not think any thing about it.

Procedures that improve the appearance of your breast or restore them to their pre-pregancy form would not be much different than all of the other "normal" things we do to our selves every day to make our selves look better. Where do you draw the line and why. This is your consideration, to treat your body as you see fit.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants for Christians

Dear Church Lady -

I THINK the prime message of Christianity is LOVE, FORGIVENESS and TOLERANCE.

- Matthew 7:1-2 Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

- Romans 2:1 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.

- Romans 14:10,13 10You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 13...therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another...

- 1 Corinthians 4:5 - Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

A true Christian follows in the path and tradition of Jesus Christ. A true Christian believes in God's unconditional love and tries to imitate and follow in Jesus' step as much as a human can. He / she leads by example not by intimidation and coersion.

Instead of asking, Spanish Inquisition / Salem Witch trials puritanical inquisition style Plastic Surgeons to defend themselves for making peoples lives bertter by increasing others' self-confidence and outer beauty , shouldn't a true Christian, who benefits and wants to emulate God's unconditional love, instead be asking why is it really wrong to help another moral human feel and look better? Would a true caring person NOT want to do this for his neighbor?

Isn't the lesson of Christianity one of real love and tolerance rather than one of judgment and harsh criticism for real and imaginary transgression?

But, God loves you, you already know the answer to that.

Religious aspects of cosmetic procedures.

There are numerous accounts of surgical ornamentation that are addressed in the old and new testament.

If you think about it, even Sarah, the matriarch wore gold earrings. At it's most basic aspect, piercing is an elective cosmetic procedure.

According to the old testament, G-d commanded Abraham to circumcise males. Although this may have a basis in hygiene or health. It is essentially an elective procedure that was decreed and obliged to be performed by the faithful. Of course this is controversial matter and has been debated over the centuries.

Religious leaders have debated this issue and have drawn differing conclusions. While some may consider it a desecration of G-ds creation, others would advocate the merits of plastic surgery for a variety of different reasons.

There are no absolute rights or wrongs here. If you have issues with the procedure, it would be best to seek the advice of a spiritual counselor or role model.

Breast implants

I think that is important to be happy and satisfied when you look at yourself in the mirror. I may be biased, but I believe that looking after your mental and physical well-being is just as important as any other medical procedure. Improving a part of your body that you may view as being deficient or lacking can dramatically improve your self esteem and level of confidence.

I don't think anyone can fault you for pursuing these qualities.

Wilfred Brown, MD

Is it wrong to have Breast Implants if you are a Christian?

Hi there-

It seems Ms. Prejean can't open her mouth without someone somewhere taking umbrage with her statements and actions. I suppose sooner or later we'll all move on to something else.

Of course, your question really has little to do with my expertise as a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and more to do with theological opinion, but here's why I am not conflicted (being a Christian myself):

The God I believe in realizes (having created us) that we are not perfect beings. I also believe that God is benevolent and loves us, wanting us to lead happy and productive lives- and He gave us free will. If there are things that we as individuals can do to improve our sense of happiness; actions which by making us happier with ourselves may even improve our ability to positively interact with and influence others, then I believe these activities could never be frowned upon by The God that I believe in.

I don't really know that my opinion of this should matter at all, as I think we all as individuals have our own sense of spirituality and level of comfort, but hope that it helps you somehow.

Christian and implants

I think that choosing to have breast implants is an individual choice..not for everyone.  I have placed implants in patients of all religions.  I do not know what the big guy in the sky has to say about this, because I have never heard him reply one way or the other.