Eyelid Surgery to Look Asian

I am Caucasian with very small eyes. I have a "double fold" eyelid so I don't think the traditional Asian eye enlargement I've heard about will work for me. Is there any other options, surgical or otherwise, to make my eye openings larger? Are There Eye Enlargement Surgery Options for Caucasians? 

Doctor Answers 9

Surgery options to make eye opening larger on Asians

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The Asian(double eyelid) surgery, medial epicantholasty, lateral canthoplasty and ptosis repair are the procedures that can be performed on Asians to potentially make their eye opening larger. 

Since you already have "double fold" and probably don't have medial epicanthal fold( yes, caucasians may also have feature), you may benefit from ptosis repair only if you have this condition. Lateral canthal enlargement procedure can be an option if you understand the benefits and risks of this procedure.



New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Eyelid surgery to enlarge your eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If your eyes need to be enlarged vertically, it may be that you have "ptosis", as many have mentioned. On the other hand, if your eyes need to be enlarged horizontally, then you may need to consider a canthoplasty procedure to lengthen the eyes. This procedure is performed in Asian eyes that have a narrow width. Essentially, the outer corner of the skin is cut and the corner is moved laterally about 2mm, thus enlarging your eyes.

Charles S. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 79 reviews

Eye enlargement options for Caucasians

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It all depends on what you mean by "eye enlargement ".

Your eye balls obviously cannot be enlarged and although the eye sockets (orbits) could be enlarged (as they are for certain conditions such as serious Hyperthyroidism, Crouzon's disease etc) doing so will only result in your eyeballs sinking deeper into the now larger eye socket.

If you meant increase the opening between the eyelids, it probably could be done if you have eyelid sagging (Ptosis). The techniques used would depend on both the cause of eyelid droopiness and its extent. Without a photograph it is impossible to properly begin to advise you on your options.

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

Surgery to enlarge eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Since you have small eyes, there is a chance that you could have some underlying ptosis that may need to be resolved for functional purposes. The crease on the upper lids can be made deeper with a slight retraction, but the surgeon has to be careful so as to make sure you can still close your eyes after the procedure.

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

You may not be mistaken?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Although eyelid ptosis is a possibility, there may be other causes for your complaints. Photographs would be helpful. Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area would also better your understanding of your condition and its correctability. Botox treatments may be an option for you. Good luck!

You are mistaken

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Cali,

The condition you are describing is upper eyelid ptosis where the lid margin, the end of the eyelid with the lashes, rides too low on the eye. In some cases, the eyelid can block the field of vision however many of these are deemed cosmetic depending on your insurance carrier (never hurts to ask though). While you have a double fold already, the exact surgical principles needed to enter your upper eyelid for double fold surgery need to be respected for fixing a ptotic Asian or a Caucasian eyelids.

The biggest error that non-oculoplastic surgeons (and some oculoplastic sugeons) make is placing the incision to fix the eyelid too high. I don't fault the surgeons, the problem is that many plastic surgery textbook describe the placement of the incision at the wrong place. The effect is an extremely long eyelid platform (the portion of the upper eyelid between the eye lashes and the upper eyelid crease which lives under the upper eyelid fold. Commonly this is marked at 10 mm intraoperatively or at what is perceived as the existing upper eyelid crease. Generally, it is much better to make this incision lower at 6 to 8 mm. As the eyelid heals, this incision tends to migrate up about 1-2 mm. Next the surgeon needs to identify the levator tendon and shorten it based on effect. Consequently, these surgeries need be be performed under light IV sedation so that you can open and close the eye during the surgery.

These are specialized surgeries and require a fellowship eye plastic surgeon who is also a board certified general plastic surgeon and not a facial plastic or general plastic surgeon who does eyelid surgery as a sideline business. The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a website at ASOPRS.org with a geographically listing of members to assist you in finding a highly qualified surgeon in your area.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Bigger eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Bigger eyes usually refers to the width of the eyelid opening (palpebral fissure). Many conditions can affect the width of the eyes, some of which are surgically correctable and others that are not. If your eyes were wider in youth, you may have a common cause of narrow eyes that is surgically correctable in all ethnicities. With aging, the tendon (lateral canthal tendon) that holds the outer corner (lateral commisure) of the eyelids attached to the eye socket can become stretched out. This will make your outer corner come in, and your eye narrower.

Another reason that you can have smaller eyes has to do with the height of the eyelid opening. Again there are several conditions of the upper and lower eyelids that can affect the overall height of the fissure. As before, some conditions, such as a lazy eyelid (ptosis), may merit surgical correction.

With any eyelid surgery, you should find a physician that is well versed in eyelid surgery, with specific training in eyelid surgery, and board certified in their respective field.

Luis Zapiach, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without seeing a photo of you, it is impossible to say much. You might have eyelid ptosis which makes your lids look like they are at half mast. This can be corrected by surgery. You should seek the consultation of an experienced plastic or oculoplastic surgeon and see if you have any options. You might not.

Bigger eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without examining you, I would have no idea what you want. Are the upper lids too heavy? Do you have ptosis of th upper lids? Is the bony vault to large? Did you have any trauma? etc...

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.