More Effective Melasma Treatments?

I developed Melasma above my lip during my first pregnancy. It worsened during my second pregnancy. It has now been 14 months since that pregnancy, and I have seen my dermatologist.

I have started using Lustra cream, and have had one IPL treatment, and two TCA Chemical peels. I understand the Lustra can take months to show results. However, the IPL and Chemical peels don't seem to have much effect on the melasma. In fact, sometimes I think it may look worse than before. Are there other procedures or treatments I should try instead that may be more effective?

Effectively Treating Melasma

Melasma is a common disorder that is often difficult to treat. It isn't unusual for a patient to become frustrated after trying a variety of treatments in an attempt to obtain satisfactory results. Like most other complicated skin conditions, a combination of treatments paired with the proper skin regimen works best! Topical de-pigmenting agents such as hydroquinone or other melanin inhibitors along with a topical tretinoic acid to increase skin cell turnover, hastens the fading of uneven patches. This commitment along with specific medical-grade chemical peels, appropriate laser treatments and diligent protection , can enhance the likelihood of reducing or resolving melasma !

#melasma #chemicalpeels # unevenskincolor

Using Melarase creams to reduce pigmentation from melasma on the skin

The first line of treatment for skin discoloration is topical creams such as Melarase AM and Melarase PM.  I would follow this with MelaPeels once monthly to reduce pigmentation and discoloration. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS