Is Deep FX or Dermabrasion Better for Lip Lines?

I am scheduled for Active FX / Deep FX to remove wrinkles and improve skin discoloration due to sun damage. Would I have a better result to use Dermabrasion above my lip and Total FX on the rest of my face and neck?

Vertical lip line options

Thank you for your question and for sharing concerns with us. Lip lines can be a very challenging concern to address, however there are a number of options that can help improve these lines. Often, the more different modalities you use the more impact you can have on the lines and still appear very natural:
1) Botox and Dysport: Can be used to weaken the amount of pursing that your lip muscles can do, and hence limits how much deeper the lines can get. This treatment is repeated every 2-3 months
2) Restylane Silk or Juvederm: thinh dermal filler's are a great way to directly address the fine lines. This is repeated every 6-9 months
3) Ultherapy: Helps to create a little more dermal thickening. Can be done as a series to help build on the results. Should be done before fillers.
4) Profound: Micro needling radiofrequency can be used to help build collagen and elastin in the deeper skin tissue.
5) Fractionated CO2: Can be to used to smooth the superficial fine lines and create a smoother look.
It is important to choose which modalities would be helpful for you. It is also important to find a plastic surgeon or dermatologist with experience to help with your assessment and develop a plan that can help address your concerns.

Both Deep FX and Dermabrasion are good, it's about the downtime

Dermabrasion is the gold standard to get rid of lip lines. While no treatment will get rid of EVERY wrinkle it has been shown that demabrasion will get the greatest reduction. That being said the downtine from a good and thorough demabrasion is a lot longer than most fractional laser treatments. I tell my patients that a 2-3 treatment session of fractional CO2 laser will get a 50-60% reduction in the wrinkles and have a 1 week downtime max. Dermabrasion may get rid of 70-80% of the wrinkles but have a 2-4 week downtime.

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon