How to Remove a Pigmented Birthmark on Cheek?

I have a birthmark on my right cheek. I don't know what kind of birthmark is that but it looks like a pigmentation. How can I remove it?

Doctor Answers 5

Excision of a birthmark on the face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are many techniques, including laser and excision, to remove pigmented birthmarks on the face. These options depend on the location and size of the birthmark. Excision seems to be a good option in most circumstances.  


Dr. Karamanoukian 

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Removing Cheek Birthmarks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Removal of Pigmented birthmarks on the cheek depends on the location, size and shape of the birthmark. If it is small it is excised in an ellipse and closed primarily. If too large for that a flap, that is attached nearby is rotated in to fill the defect, or occasionally a skin graft can be used. All pigmented lesions or birthmarks need to be sent for pathological analysis to make sure it is not cancer or pre-cancer.

Birthmark removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Pigmented lesions should be fully excised to rule out dysplasia or changes. This is performed under local anesthesia by board certified plastic surgeons. It is important that the lesion been sent for pathologic analysis. If the lesion is large and in an area in which scarring is of concern, it can be excised in two or more sessions to reduce the size of the ultimate scar which would result.

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The only safe method to remove a large pigmented lesion is for a total excision. For this you should see a board certified plastic surgeon or a dermatologist who concentrates on facial surgery. It is important that you have a pathologic diagnosis.

With the proliferation of medi-spas, often with "medical directors" from all kinds of non-skin related specialties ( in our area we have them owned/run by neurologists, dentists, radiologists, gynecologists etc. ) you may be talked into having this pigmented lesion lasered off. I can not advise you more strongly that this would be very foolish. When your procedure is complete, you want your specimen sitting in a bottle, to be borne off to pathology, not some charred remains whisked off with a gauze pad. If not thinking of yourself, think of the poor mole. Wouldn't you rather be on colorful display (neat purples and pinks) for the edification of pathologists and anyone who cares to look, or emptied that night into a bin with medical waste?

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Pigmented lesions of teh face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Generally, large or changing pigmented lesions should be removed and examined by a pathologist. IT is best to remove them entirely in one setting if possible. IF not, the alternatives are to remove them in stages or with use of reconstructive techniques.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.